Deployment and Imaging Group

View Only

How to Create a Boot Disk and Start a Ghost Session to Create/deploy to a Connected Local Drive 

Jul 30, 2009 06:26 PM

These are step by step directions on how to create the appropriate bootable media to boot a Client with a locally connected USB hard drive, thereby removing network involvement from the imaging process.

First, it is necessary to create a boot disk using the Ghost Boot Wizard. You can use the following KB document for the exact steps to take to create this boot disk:

Title: 'How to make a Windows PE boot package with the Ghost Boot Wizard.'
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2008050911464460?Open&seg=ent

To create an image on a USB device:

Now that you have the Ghost Boot Disk created per the instructions above, connect your USB device and boot the computer you wish to capture an image (or deploy an image to) with that boot disk. This should boot you into Ghost.

Once you get into Ghost, take the following steps to create the image locally:

1. Click OK on the informational Ghost screen
  2. Click Local
  3. Click Disk
  4. Click To Image
  5. Select the drive you wish to capture the image of and select OK
  6. Browse to the external device you wish to store your image on and provide a file name.
  7. Click Save
  8. When prompted about compression, choose "No", "Fast", or "High".
  9. Click Yes when asked if you're ready to proceed.

To restore an image from an external USB hard drive:

With the Ghost Boot Disk created per the instructions above, connect your USB device and boot the computer you wish to deploy an image to with that boot disk. This should boot you into Ghost.

Once you get into Ghost, take the following steps to deploy the image locally:

1. Click OK on the informational Ghost screen
  2. Click Local
  3. Click Disk
  4. Click From Image
  5. Browse and select the image you wish to deploy and click OK
  6. Select the destination drive (usually Drive 1, though make sure the drive you are restoring is the correct model and size).
  7. Click OK, and proceed with image restoration.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Feb 26, 2018 01:54 PM

hello is there a way to use an image greated on a bigger source drive to an smaller source  where there is enought space for the image to run

Jan 17, 2011 04:04 PM

Hi, I can create a image of my drive but I can't get my usb to boot up into ghost 11.5.1, how do I make my usb bootable?

Aug 12, 2009 12:33 PM

I created a bootable usb jum drive, copied my spanned ghost image to it, was able to boot to it & start the image restore process. When it finshed copying the *.gho, I got the message "ghost needs to open an image span". I was able to browse to the next spanned image & then prceed w/o problems, but I needed to browse to all my spanned images until the restored to the HD was completed. Is there any way to aumate this process. It looked like autospanning was already enabled when I lokked at the option tab?  Otherwise it worked great !

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.