Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only

Windows 10 Filters 

Oct 13, 2016 10:58 AM

Microsoft introduced new versioning concept for Windows 10 – we now talk about release numbers like 1511 or 1607.

For more details please refer to this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

What you may not know is, that these release numbers are in YYMM format, which is:

• 1511 – Released in 2015 month 11 (=November)
  • 1607 – Released in 2016 month 07 (=July)

SMP has only one default filter for Windows 10, which I do not see sufficient.

Taking information from above article, I have created couple new views that you may like, too.

Win10_Filters.jpg

XML file is attached, feel free importing that to your SMP console 7.6 or 8.0

Filter definiton was cloned from default one, and just one more condition has been added on last line:

• “AND   id.[OS Build Number] = 10586  -- Release 1511”

Computer Details view on managed computer does not display such release version, that’s why Basic Inventory only contains version and build numbers but not that "release number".

You can verify exact release number by typing WINVER at command prompt:

Win10_About.jpg

Alternate option would be detecting and collecting release version via Custom Inventory, but that would also require custom data-class in database and Inventory Plug-in implementation on all machines.

That’s why I decided for using Basic Inventory, which is much easier to collect.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
xml file
Windows_10.xml   12 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 20, 2019 03:37 AM

To use a color filter in Windows:

1: Select Start  button and Go to  Settings

2: Go to Ease of Access 

3: Select Color filters.

4: Switch on the toggle under Turn on color filters.

5:Then, select a color filter from the menu. Try each filter to see which one suits you best.

If some problem you are face about burn-windows-10-iso-to-usb then you can contact with us Thanks!

May 29, 2019 12:26 AM

Interesting article about that function in SQL. On the other hand it should be possible to grab the release id with basic inventory. This way you don't need an updated function for future releases.
Thanks.

May 21, 2019 11:10 AM

Thanks for sharing this Jan, very useful!

May 15, 2019 01:24 PM

that is it...

we are going 8.5 - configuring and working on all the business processes that it takes to get it into our environment.

May 15, 2019 12:33 PM

TeleFragger,

I ran this on 8.5, and it might be only valid for that version. Could you check your altiris database function folder  and post what what function are availabe, I'm curious in finding out what is available ?

May 15, 2019 11:01 AM

did not work for cms 7.6 

Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Invalid object name 'dbo.fnSysMask_GetWindows10_VersionCodeAsTable'.

May 14, 2019 04:24 PM

FYI,

The Window 10 Server 2012 Release Version can also be pulled using the builtin sql function fnSysMask_GetWindows10_VersionCodeAsTable  in a sql query. 

Below is a sample query the pulls the Windows 10 Release Version

select
    vc.name Computer
    ,VC.[OS Name]
    ,RelVer.ReleaseVer [Win10 Release Verision]
       ,OS.[Type]
    ,OS.Architecture
    ,OS.[Platform]
    ,OS.[OS Name] OperatingSystem
    ,os.[Service Pack]
    ,os.[OS Edition]
    ,os.TagFlags
from VComputer vc
JOIN  Inv_AeX_AC_Identification id ON id._ResourceGuid = vc.guid 
CROSS APPLY dbo.fnSysMask_GetAllSystemMaskAsStringTable( id.[OS System Mask]) OS   -->> the built in fnSysMask_GetAllSystemMaskAsStringTable contains a number of useful filter that can be used for filters
CROSS APPLY dbo.fnSysMask_GetWindows10_VersionCodeAsTable( id.[OS System Mask]) RelVer  -->> the built in fnSysMask_GetWindows10_VersionCodeAsTable function contains the Windows 10 Release Number
where vc.[OS Name] like '%Windows 10%'

May 01, 2019 08:30 AM

Thanks this helped a lot!

Sep 28, 2018 02:39 PM

indeed... 

I installed today. All went well and ran into my own hickup...

Sep 28, 2018 02:24 PM

Your wait is over. GA for 8.5 was announced this morning. It should be showing up in your SIM. (You will need to go from 7.6 HF7 to 8.1, then 8.5 (supported upgrade path for your current version).

Sep 21, 2018 08:19 AM

so I do something similar for us to deploy the "FU"'s out there...

CMS 7.6 HF7 - waiting patiently for 8.5 as support for cms on server 2016!!!

Apr 13, 2018 07:34 AM

FYI

In released 8.1 RU6 build you can see such Windows 10 & Windows Server 2016 versions:

• In General tab of ITMS Management Views page for selected managed computer
  • On main Resource Manager page
  • In Computers with Agent Installed report
  • In Computer last information update time report

Note:

• Windows 10/2016 version will be populated on mentioned above places only if Symantec Management Agent 8.1 RU6 is installed on these machines and they have sent own basic inventory to SMP 8.1 RU6.

Apr 11, 2018 04:18 PM

Thanks Jan!  Exactly what I was looking for as I wanted to know the different "flavors" of Win10 in our environment.  Looks like Microsoft is distributing separate patches for each release starting this month so I was curious if I could exclude any of them.  Unfortunately I have a few RTMs in my environment so guess I'll have to patch from 1507.  I'm always mindful of my Altiris/SMP server's hard drive space as not cleaning up obsolete patches has bitten me before.

Feb 22, 2018 11:25 AM

Thank you, Jan! This works great. It certainly would be helpful to have these rolled into SMP updates so that we don't have to continually manually create new ones for each 6 month revision.

This is very much appreciated!!

Nov 28, 2016 01:44 PM

Hi Jan, thanks for sharing, just imported into our filters.  Will definitely come in handy!

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.