Discovery and Inventory Group

View Only

CentOS or Ubuntu are displayed as „untracked“ 

Dec 05, 2016 04:03 PM

It may happen that you install SMA on LINUX successfully, and even agent seems to be working fine, you can still see it as “UNTRACKED” in SMP Console. I noticed that behavior on some releases of CentOS and Ubuntu.

UBU_UNTR.png

Reason of that behavior is, that particular machine does not have assigned to any Client Configuration Policy (located under Targeted Settings).

Quick fix is this: Open respective configuration policy and add these machines manually. Once you refresh Manage > Computers view, machines would show as HEALTHY.

There are two default Client Configuration policies for Linux- select the correct one for your machine(s):

• All Linux/Mac Workstations
  • All UNIX/Linux/Mac Servers

Let’s assume your machine is Linux Workstation (for Server that approach is very similar).

You can see that there are no machines that policy would apply to:

CONF_POLICY.png

Click on Apply to > Computers and add your desired machine. I trust you know how to do that J

Problem solved, but now let’s do it better.

Navigate to Manage > Filters and expand Computer Filters and locate Linux filters.

I know that my CentOS systems are flavor of Red Hat, I have created following filter:

FILTER_CENT.png

You can add machines via Filter Membership option, but you’d better create Filter Rule. (I will explain in a minute.)

Now verify that your machines are showing correctly in that new filter. 

Similarly, create new filter for Ubuntu Linux.

That’s it: Now you can go back to Targeted Settings and you would see these machines in respective configuration policies. Change View from Targets to Computers to verify that.

Double check the same in your Manage > Computers view.

Why CentOS or Ubuntu were not handled properly, when SMA got installed on these machines?

filters are missing for these systems and have to be created manually..

For my CentOS was operating system recognized by SMA as Red Hat Linux (in Basic Inventory).

CENTOS_SUM.png

CentOS is reported once full OS inventory is collected:

CENTOS_OS.png

That data class contains this OS name: Inv_OS_Operating System > Name

Filter for Ubuntu can be created similarly, with small difference - that SMA detects Ubuntu Linux properly within Basic Inventory collection.

UBU_SUM.png

Note that filters used for Targeted Settings should use data collected by Basic Inventory only, otherwise machines may not became proper members of that filter - until full inventory scan is completed.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.