ITMS Administrator Group

View Only
  • 1.  8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Posted Nov 02, 2023 10:27 AM

I am not able to edit an imported Package Source and Content successfully after upgrading to 8.7.1image

• 2.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 03, 2023 01:54 AM

Hi Tal Fisher!

This is just an UI issue, because normally when user is trying to change "Package Source" for already imported package from UNC, Local NS or URL source to "SW Library" source, then "Package Content" below should not be shown package information in "Add or Edit Package" dialog

Example of how it should work

Changing from "UNC" to "SW Library", it doesn't show me this package name, because this package was never imported in SW Library before, therefore SW Library doesn't know anything about this package and doesn't have this package GUID as Folder Guid name.
    So it offers to "Add file" this package in SW Library

Just click "Add file" > find this package where it is > now it will be added in SW Library

Best regards,
    IP.

• 3.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Posted Nov 03, 2023 08:29 AM

Hello Igor, I did try your method before contacting Support and this Community, and it did not work. I would get the "failed to submit software message." I went to my DEV Altiris log file and saw this: Sure enough, the folder with the GUID number did not exist in DEV. I checked the exported XML file from Prod:

• 4.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Posted Nov 03, 2023 08:45 AM

Meanwhile, we are going to change our Import Software Package process: 

Instead of editing the Package Content, we will delete the package and then choose ADD Package. That should force the preexisting folder GUID information to disappear and use a new folder GUID. By the way, support still has not contacted me. Is everything okay over there?

• 5.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Posted Nov 03, 2023 11:27 AM

Here is a little more information on the NS side. The blue text is when I imported the XML file from PROD 8.6 to DEV 8.7.1. The red text is when the Failed to submit Software Package Content to DEV 8.7.1.

• 6.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 07, 2023 11:12 AM

Hi Tal Fisher!

Could you please describe your scenario?

Is this current production environment with existing Prod SW library and you are trying to change SW library source for current SW resource on production to Dev SW library?
    Did you copy all existing production SW library content to a new Dev SW library location?

Best regards,
    IP.

• 7.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Posted Nov 07, 2023 11:48 AM

There are two scenarios, and neither one works. But let's start with the first scenario. We have a DEV, QA, and a Prod environments. DEV and QA were upgraded from SMP 8.6 RU3 to 8.7.1. QA is supposed to test all our Altiris processes before we are approved to upgrade Prod.

QA found the following in 8.7.1 environments: High CPU utilization, non-admins are NOT able to see the update configuration tab even though the reg states "UserAccessRights"=dword:00000001" and the console is unchecked "Restrict non-administrators access to the Symantec Management Agent user interface. Lastly, When Importing an XML file using the "Settings, Console. Views" Tab, you are not able to upload a new (any) package content to the current Software Library.

• 8.  RE: 8.7.1 Upgrade. When I change the Package Source to Software Library, the Package entries are not getting cleared out

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2023 01:09 AM

Good morning Tal Fisher!

1. In ITMS 8.7.1 now there are two additional options to allow non-administrative accounts on client computers manually perform "Update Client configuration" or "Send basic inventory", Yes by default these options aren't enabled.

If SMP and agents are persistent connected, user can force agent settings modifications on client side, using "Push policy" actions

Also do not forget to apply latest available point fixes after ITMS upgrade.
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/273903/cumulative-post-itms-871-point-fixes.html

2. Could you please provide more details about: QA found the following in 8.7.1 environments: High CPU utilization

Looks not clear when CPU usage by which process? Non stop CPU 100% utilization on NS or SQL?
    ITMS 8.7.1 is upgraded on server with on-box sql server or remote SQL Server?
    How much resources has ITMS and SQL Server (Amount of CPU, memory?)

Probably CPU utilization appeared for some time, when ITMS is upgraded and all agents and site servers are in upgrade state as well to get new policies, packages, sending nse statuses, etc. 
    Many things could cause CPU utilization but not non stop 24 hours per each day 100% utilization...

3. Strange approach to export and import SW resources (packages) from 1st Environment to 2nd Environment.

For such purposes customer can use a "SoftwareReplicator" tool https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/154810/the-software-resource-replicator-migrat.html

Open "SoftwareReplicator" tool on source ITMS server, choose required SW resource types for further export 

Or select only required SW resources (packages) for further import

Check what SW Library UNC location is used on 1st ITMS Server

Now when customer will copy "SoftwareReplicator" tool and "Import" folder from 1st ITMS server to 2nd new ITMS Server
    Check what SW Library UNC location is used for new 2nd ITMS Server

If SW Library between 1st ITMS Server and new 2nd ITMS is different, then "SoftwareReplicator" tool shows this information when customer will open "Import Software Resources" tab on 2nd ITMS Server

If it is different, then need to copy all existing folders (packages) from 1st ITMS Server SW Library location and put all these copied folders in new 2nd ITMS SW library UNC location

Now after completed import of SW resources on new 2nd ITMS Server, customer can successfully change imported SW package source to new 2nd ITMS SW library location, because new SW Library already contains this package GUID folder and package itself there.

Best regards,
    IP.