Twin Cities Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  How to access Remote KVM feature in CMS 7.1

Posted Jul 16, 2013 11:27 AM

I have recently began transitioning our company from DS 6.9 SP4 to CMS 7.1. We have recently replaced all of the companies computers with machines running Windows 7 Pro and Intel's vPro processors with integrated graphics (Intel's HD4000).

I have read just about every piece of Symantec documentation that I can find in regards to Intel AMT, remote KVM, and OOB (Out-of-Band) Management. Unfortunately, when I go into the Resource Manager for a computer with Intel AMT configured I am not able to find an option to use the remote control feature. The documentation and examples I have come across all point to Real-Time Console > Real-Time System Manager > Management Operations > Manage Power State and Redirection but there is no redirection or remote control options present in this menu. The only items I see are Computer Information and Remote power management. SIM (Symantec Installation Manager) indicates the product is up-to-date so I don't know if this feature has been deprecated or relocated to another menu but OOB Management using Intel AMT was a enfluencing factor in considering computers with Intel's vPro processors.

We have implemented remote control with interactive desktop utilizing Symantec pcAnywhere on our LAN but were hoping to utilize our investment in the newer vPro capabilities for Out-of-Band Management to help minimize trips to other offices for troubleshooting purposes. 

I need help to determine if this is a configuration issue or an issue with the overall installation of CMS or the OOB Management component. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,

Shawn/Network Admin

• 2.  RE: How to access Remote KVM feature in CMS 7.1

Posted Jul 17, 2013 10:07 AM

I figured this out. I hadn't configured DASH and the WS-MAN. Once these were configured the missing Remote Control menu items in Real-Time Manager appeared.

Thanks,

Shawn/Network Admin

• 3.  RE: How to access Remote KVM feature in CMS 7.1

Posted Jul 23, 2013 11:10 AM

Hi,

I would be interested in your opinion on the KVM feature. I have used it but found it to be a little clunky so have opted for a another tool to do the KVM part.

Best Regards