Houston Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  SEP 12.1 RU6 MP4 - What gives?

Posted May 02, 2016 09:53 AM

In March there was this forum announcement that MP4 had been released. Because there were security vulnerabilities announced for all previous versions, I downloaded the new version as soon as it was available on FileConnect, and just completed the upgrade. The version of that download was 12.1.6860.6400.

SEP Versions_0.JPG

On April 12th, there were indications of a newer version of MP4 being released because there was a post to the announcement above asking about the versions. On April 19th, the Symantec employee author of the original announcement wondered where 6860 came from, and hasn't been heard from since.

Last week I received a notification from the "Released Versions" TechNote that there was an update. When I went to the page, it said that the version number of MP4 is now 12.1.6867.6400, but no mention of what changed, other than the version number was different from what I downloaded from FileConnect.

I have a few questions.

• Has anybody been able to find out why the version numbers changed?
    • Was there another security vulnerability?
    • Did the other security vulnerabilities not get fixed?
    • Do I need to do another upgrade?
    • Do I need to wait because one of the versions of MP4 breaks Windows 10? I don't know which version of MP4 breaks Windows 10, because the forum post doesn't specify which version of MP4. This probably doesn't apply to me because we're not rolling out that version of Windows 10 anyway, but it would be nice to know.

• 2.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU6 MP4 - What gives?

Posted May 02, 2016 10:07 AM

There hasn't been a response to anyone on the other blog post. At this point, I wold call support to get further details on why it has been silent.

One of the users talked to support and responded as to why a new build was put out:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-121-ru6-mp4-now-available-download#comment-11598021

Doesn't explain why no one knew though.

• 3.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU6 MP4 - What gives?

Posted May 02, 2016 02:55 PM

Saw that. I guess if I'm not having the certificate problem on installation, that I don't need to upgrade again? But then again, it would seem likely that a certificate problem would be a security problem and would be cause enough to warrant an upgrade even though they said it shouldn't be a problem.

Sure would be nice to hear something directly from Symantec on this without having to call support. I hate calling support!

• 4.  RE: SEP 12.1 RU6 MP4 - What gives?

Posted May 04, 2016 02:08 AM

We got this answer from our Symantec contact:

SEP 12.1.6 MP4 build 12.1.6860.6400 failed sometimes during installation if Comodo code signing certificate (trusted root certificate) was not installed. This was corrected in  SEP 12.1.6 MP4 build 12.1.6867.6400. The Comodo code signing certificate is no longer required.

There were no functional changes in the code between builds 12.1.6860.6400 and 12.1.6867.6400.

There is no reason to update a SEP 12.1.6 MP4 build 12.1.6860.6400 SEP client if it has installed properly.