Philadelphia Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  DS 7.1 PXE Server Configuration problem

Posted Apr 21, 2011 09:41 AM

I'm having a problem with DS 7.1 on the PXE Server Configuration page. The only PXE boot image availabe to be selected is "PEx64Install". I've created multiple preboot configurations, but none show up on the PXE Server Configuration page. To make matters more confusing, when I boot a client into PXE, the preboot environment that loads is a Linux preboot configuration that I created, and not the one displayed here. Why don't my preboot configurations show up below? Anyone have any ideas here?

Another screenshot of my PXE Server Configuration page. The only architecture available is x64; no 32-bit options are available even though I've created them.

Here you can see my Preboot Configurations. I have verified that they all configs exist at "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\Task Handler\SBS\Images" on my PXE server.

• 2.  RE: DS 7.1 PXE Server Configuration problem

Posted Apr 21, 2011 02:38 PM

Interesting.  I do not see anything very wrong with the screenshots.  The only thing I have had a problem with is when using a Preboot Configuration for X86 and another one for X64.  You can create one Preboot Configuration for both.  When the client boots it will auto select which preboot configuration to use.

Also make sure you are not editing the two default configurations that come with the software.  I doubt you would, since those are Automation Folders and not PXE.

• 3.  RE: DS 7.1 PXE Server Configuration problem
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 22, 2011 02:55 PM

The problem is that you've selected this before already.  Delete what you have, THEN hit the drop-list and you'll get others.  Yeah, that's how the console is designed.  These are type-down lists, not simply drop lists, so, in short, you have "typed" in an answer already and it filters on that.

As for booting to Linux, it's probably a managed computer - that is, it's already in the console.  If a computer is in the console already either because it has booted to WinPE or production in the past, then it wont get either of these two options.

• 4.  RE: DS 7.1 PXE Server Configuration problem

Posted Apr 25, 2011 03:27 PM

Seriously....Thomas' answer is correct.  I was confused/frustrated by the same thing until I accidentally deleted the text in the drop-down.....not the configuration itself, just the text in the "PE boot image:" field.  Suddenly all options were available for selection.  NOT a well thought out "feature".

• 5.  RE: DS 7.1 PXE Server Configuration problem

Posted May 03, 2011 07:46 AM

WOW! That is a terrible design! I've been pounding my head against the wall for weeks with this. Thanks for your help guys, that was exactly it.