Philadelphia Security User Group

View Only
  • 1.  CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Feb 23, 2015 03:40 PM

On this PCAnywhere end of life thread, a Symantec employee said "Customers who purchase CMS continue to receive pcAnywhere Solution. Symantec is exploring additional partnership opportunities with Bomgar"

I put a ticket in about PCanywhere image client best practice in CMS, and support said well in 7.6 PCAnywhere is going away anyway, you'll be left with a link of what remote support solution you want to use.  He mentioned something about the plugin being left behind, but you won't be able to manage it and can only login with local administrator privileges, not sure what that means.

Just a heads up for anyone out there like me who uses PCAnywhere that this may be coming & probably worth tuning into the 7.6 webinar if you weren't already planning to. Maybe lucky for me I have 7.5 HF5 working  just as I want it and won't have to upgrade right away?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/events/it-management-suite-76-and-ghost-solution-suite-30-launch-webcast-march-3

• 2.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Posted Feb 24, 2015 11:46 AM

PCAnywhere is interesting - the consumer version is already EOL. However, the offical line from my sales rep and back line is that PCAnywhere support for Enterprise continues for 7.X installs. Now they may change that in 7.6 - i will get the chance to ask my sales rep today. 

The updates that were done in 7.5 hf6 when they split the agents was troublesome to say the least for my company. Especially when the update path was not well defined. -- I will have to write up what we did to get the agents to work in 7.5 hf6 with folder redirection. 

I will be at the 7;6 users conference next week in Salt Lake city - hopefully they will post then whats happening 

• 3.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Posted Feb 24, 2015 10:33 PM

I can confirm that we will share details regarding pcAnywhere Solution during the ITMS 7.6 launch webcast next week. Be sure to join so that we can answer your questions at that time.

• 4.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Posted Mar 03, 2015 11:52 AM

Hello,

it looks like installing 7.6 remove PC Anywhere :(

any idea if it is possible to keep it in 7.6 ?

Regards,

• 5.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 03, 2015 01:36 PM

Hello Nicolas,

yes you can when you upgrade.

Official Announcement

pcAnywhere Solution and Bomgar changes with ITMS 7.6
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/pcanywhere-solution-and-bomgar-changes-itms-76

Bomgar and pcAnywhere Solution Changes in ITMS 7.6 Release
    http://www.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Bomgar%20and%20pcAnywhere%20Solution%20FAQ.pdf

There it sais:

During the ITMS 7.6 upgrade, the pcAnywhere application will remain installed and continue to function without a license. But, the pcAnywhere management connector will be removed – this connector is what presents the console options. A new remote access connector will be installed allowing you to integrate Bomgar into the console right-click menu.

• 6.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Posted Mar 05, 2015 10:11 AM

Where are the specifics on how to move to using Bomgar?  I see we get two free licenses, but how does the implementation/integration specifically work?  Do we need to buy a Bomgar box now and set that up as well?

• 7.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 09, 2015 09:13 AM

@scott - Go here and fill out a form and Bomgar will contact you with details.  I believe a Bomgar VM is included with the 2 free client licenses and 1 year maintenance.

• 8.  RE: CMS version of PCAnywhere going away with 7.6?

Posted Mar 10, 2015 05:01 AM

Hello STHN,

in the FAQ pdf the say under point 10:

Create a host configuration file update policy if you intend to update the configuration file while pcAnywhere hosts are still in your environment

But do you or anybody else know how to do this? Do i just need a config file from an existing working client? Just not sure what i have to do to give a client the agent and the right configuration till we have a new remote.

Hope someone allready managed this and will share this solution.

Greetings Kevin