ITMS Administrator Group

View Only
  • 1.  Office 365 C2R using Peer to Peer?

Posted Feb 05, 2018 05:02 PM

Question:

I know Office 365 click to run (C2R) and Peer to Peer (P2P) distribution were released around the same time.  However, my question is, do they work together?  I thought I remembered hearing they would when the technology was first announced but based on my current understanding I don't think they do.  Just looking for confirmation.  

Background: 

Since we implemented peer to peer several months ago, we have drastically reduced the number of package servers we have.  However, we are now preparing to switch from Office 2013 MSI to Office 2016 C2R and I fear the lack of package servers will be a significant problem for us.  

More detail:  

As I understand it: Office 365 (2016) C2R cannot be externally patched since it resides in a virtual bubble so the Symantec solution re-configures the C2R package on each client to point to it's assigned package server as the update location and then C2R patches itself using the new configuration.   

The new Symantec P2P feature makes use of a local HTTP proxy server to share cached packages and patches with peers in the same network.  In theory, this could be used as a C2R update source.  However, the full C2R repository never comes down to the client, it only streams the needed delta bits so I'm guessing there is no repository for a peer to serve up to other computers.    

Can anyone (preferablly from Symantec) confirm this limitation?  

• 2.  RE: Office 365 C2R using Peer to Peer?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 06, 2018 12:18 AM

Hi JoeVan,

I can confirm that your analysis is correct and limitation is exists in the currently available releases of the product.

We plan to add P2P support for Office 365 updates in the next major release.

Kind regards,

Vladimir

• 3.  RE: Office 365 C2R using Peer to Peer?

Posted Feb 06, 2018 09:41 AM

Thanks for the confirmation.  Any targeted release date or details you can share on how it would work? 

Joe