Symantec Encryption Product Community

View Only
  • 1.  File share on FTP server / any shared location

Posted Apr 06, 2014 08:37 AM

There's a shared folder in the FTP server. we need to encrypt the folder with access to limited users.

How do we achieve this? do we need to install PGP on the FTP server.

My PGP server version is 3.3.1 (Build 13100)

• 2.  RE: File share on FTP server / any shared location

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2014 09:54 AM

Hi Mehmood,

I think this should not be a problem if you follow directions in:

Symantec File Share Encryption (previously PGP NetShare) Compatibility FAQ
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148974

You don't have to install PGP on FTP Server. From a Windows client with PGP , map the shared drive as example Z:\ add this to Symantec FilesSahre. Make sure folder has got appropriate Windows NTFS permissions and it is shared to the user (limited userss access) who are going to have an encrypted access. Use User Access list from Symatec FileShare adding appropriate user and replicate this scenario on all machines which will need access to this shared encrypted folder. You can also use a Group key facility. Please be familiar with the following:

PGP NetShare Group Key FAQ's
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO61299

• 3.  RE: File share on FTP server / any shared location

Posted Apr 07, 2014 01:33 AM
      |   view attached

Thank you Adam,

Please answer the following:-

Is it mandatory to have an AD group for group membership & group key in the Universal Server?

Is it ok if we create a manual group with a group key in the universl server, where the members of the Univ-server group may be members of different groups in AD?

When I have mapped the FTP Server folder on the clients' machines as "Z:/", do I  place check mark on "Force the encryption of files in the following folders" in the policy? Please check the pic attached.

• 4.  RE: File share on FTP server / any shared location

Posted Apr 07, 2014 03:56 AM

IF all files going in are to be encrypted, yes you tick that box to take the responsibility of encryption away from your end users.