Monitor and Server Health Group

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Machine Management within Server Management Suite

Posted Jan 13, 2011 10:28 AM

Hi All,

I am looking for anyone here on the Server Management Suite forum who is currently using the Virtual Machine Management within SMS.  I am interested in any comments or feedback you may have.

Also please feel free to contact me directly Joseph_Carson@Symantec.com

Many Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Virtual Machine Management within Server Management Suite

Posted Mar 24, 2011 01:58 PM

I attempted to use this in the 7.0 product, but it never really worked. The credentials manager initially gave us problems, but after finding a roundabout way of finding the host server, the solution would never run the necessary inventory task. I opened a case with the support team that never was resolved.

During the beta of ITMS 7.1 things were looking up, because the credentials manager was not used in any of the portions of getting the VM host connected or inventoried. It worked right out of the box and required no special configuration. I was quite pleased with the setup and use. I didn't find a single problem with the beta.

For the GA of ITMS 7.1, I was excited to get my servers managed by ITMS and tried to get VMM working in production. Unfortunately, the GA ITMS 7.1 version works as well as the SMS 7. I am able to scan an IP to add a host, but it will not run the necessary inventory. I opened a case with the support team and they are able to reproduce the problems (There are more than one).

I don't know if this is relevant, but I noticed that when I look at the installed versions of plugins through the Symantec Management Agent, the VMM plugin is installed outside of the agents directory and is installed in c:\Windows\assembly\...... Additionally, while the task handler plugin is already installed, it still shows up in Software Delivery tab of the Symantec Management Agent as if it is still needing to be installed. The item in the Software Delivery tab shows that the install task ran successfully. It shows as installed in the Settings, but will not leave the view in Software Delivery and is misleading at quick glance as it looks like it still needs to be installed.     

• 3.  RE: Virtual Machine Management within Server Management Suite

Posted Apr 29, 2011 10:03 AM

...only in the laboratory (at this moment).

We are using VMM to discover the ESX 4.x servers we have, and to inventory them, and the virtual machines that are running on top of them.

After some problems with the credentials, now it is working properly.

I'm in the phase of restricting the use of right click over the ESX server, or over the VMs.

Regards:

Falquian