|   view attached

#EthernetSwitchesCommunity

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Robo2-UM-UG146.pdf   449K 1 version

• 2.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 12-16-2019 10:07 AM
    Hi Ryan,

We are struggling with the BCM53158, we can get a link with the device but nothing else.  We are not using any flash, just the strap options.  Maybe we need to add flash and use Robo2 UM software?  Cannot find any download or sales outlet.  If we need this software to make our device operational where can we find it?

Thanks, Tim

• 3.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 12-17-2019 04:16 AM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the input.

I see there are three messages from you in community as below for BCM53158 question, please find my comment as following:

1. For your UM usage, it requires to set the strap pin boot_src[1:0] = 0x10 to boot up from external serial flash device

Pin "boot_src1" is sharing with pin LED_27 and "boot_src0" is sharing with pin MISO2.

1. It requires to have one external serial flash device to store our UM SW image bin file

For UM SW, it needs certain process and customers have to sign related docs such as SLA…then downloads it through docSAFE.

Suggest could you please double check with your local distributor to get the corresponding support?

In addition, I have uploaded the updated Robo2 UM user guide "Robo2-UM-UG146.pdf" and release notes "Robo2-UM-RN147" in this community. Please double check it.

Thanks,

Ryan

[Tim's question/message]

========================================================================

Hi Ryan,

We are struggling with the BCM53158, we can get a link with the device but nothing else.  We are not using any flash, just the strap options.  Maybe we need to add flash and use Robo2 UM software?  Cannot find any download or sales outlet.  If we need this software to make our device operational where can we find it?

Thanks, Tim

Hello,
    We have built a new design based around the BCM53158XUB1KFBG.  It is to be an unmanaged switch with 8 copper ports and 2 fibre ports, the configuration is simply just using the strap pins in their default settings and no flash memory.
    After power up we can establish a link with the chip but cannot get any further i.e. no wider network access.
    Does anyone out there have any experience with this chip and can give us any pointers to getting the chip to function out of the box as expected?
    Thanks.

------------------------------
    Tim

Hello, help required!
    We have built up a new board with the BCM53158XUB1KFBG.  It has 8 copper ports and 2 fibre ports and is supposed to be an unmanaged switch.
    The configuration is very basic, strap pins only and no flash memory.  The straps are set to the defaults.
    This is a new chip to us so we are unfamiliar with it, at the moment after power up we can connect and establish a link to the chip but cannot get any further.
    Does anyone have any pointers that may help us get the chip to wake up and start forwarding messages?
    Thanks.

Tim

==================================================================

Master R&D Applications Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 12-17-2019 04:26 AM
    Hi Ryan,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  I will contact a local
    distributor and see if they can supply the UM software.  Fortunately our
    design has a flash chip option and we can also adjust the 2 strap pins
    using links - so we should be in a good place.

Thanks again,

Tim

• 5.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 02-24-2020 08:19 AM
    Hi Ryan,

It took a while but I finally managed to get the UM software and loaded it onto the Flash and I am pleased to report that all the copper ports are functioning as expected - thank you very much for your help!

The next stage is to get the XFI ports to function with fibre transceivers.  I see from the documentation that there are a number of OTP features that need to be set but I cannot find any reference to how this is done in the BCM53158 datasheet or the UM software guide.  Can you advise me where or how these features are enabled and disabled, I am using the BCM53158PB1KFBG.

Thanks again,

Tim

• 6.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 02-26-2020 08:04 AM
    Please note a copy/paste error.

The chip I am using is the BCM53158XUB1KFBG and not the BCM53158PB1KFBG as I put in the post.

Thanks,

Tim

• 7.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 02-26-2020 08:35 AM
    Hi Tim,
    It sounds great for your updated status and thanks the updated information.
    For BCM53158XUB1KFBG, the XFI ports Port 12 and 13 are enabled already in OTP.
    I am double checking if any other step required for XFI ports in UM SW operation, and will feedback you asap.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom

• 8.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 02-27-2020 03:33 AM
    Hi Tim,
    I think the XFI ports on your platform [BCM53158XUB1KFBG+UM SW bin] could work directly without any setting.
    Please let me know if there is question.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom

• 9.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 18 days ago
    Hi Ryan,

We fitted 10G fibre transceivers to the XFI ports on both of our prototype boards and were able to get a solid data link - so it works!

Thank you very much for your assistance with this, we now have an 8 port unmanaged switch with 2 fibre ports.  The application is for a new subsea remotely operated vehicle for the offshore oil & gas and renewables industry, the high speed network is the heart of the control system allowing control and survey data to be sent from 3,000m under the water to the surface vessel and beyond.

Regards,

Tim

• 10.  RE: Robo2-UM-UG111.pdf

Posted 15 days ago
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the feedback and it's very great!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Broadcom