DX Infrastructure Management

View Only

Tech Tip: Changing the Listening Port for NFA 9.1 Harvesters 

Aug 06, 2014 03:48 PM

Title: How to change the listening port for a harvester in NFA 9.1 (Windows and Linux)

Description:

The default listening port for a Harvester in NFA is 9995, which in earlier versions could be changed in the registry. Now this setting is in the Harvester Database on the Harvesters.

Solution:

Log into the Harvester database on each Harvester you wish to update the listening port on with the command below:

mysql -P3308 harvester

Then run the update statement below to change the listening port:

update parameter_descriptions set defaultvalue=PortNumber where parameter='NetFlowPacketListenPort';

For example to change to 9996

update parameter_descriptions set defaultvalue=9996 where parameter='NetFlowPacketListenPort';

Then recycle the harvester services.

On Windows you can recycle the "CA NFA Harvester" service in the services console
On Linux you can recycle the Harvester service by running "service nfa_harvester restart"
The Harvester should now be listening on the new port.

**Please note, whenever making changes to your databases, you should perform a backup of your database as a best practice in case you need to revert back**

The filenames in the \CA\NFA\Netflow\datafiles\HarvesterWork directory should also contain the port number, e.g.:

1405571160-9995_0.tbn.inc.tmp

After changing the port you should see the new port number rather than 9995.

This has also been published as a tech doc on Support.ca.com at the link below.
https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC585610

This document was generated from the following discussion: Tech Tip: Changing the Listening Port for NFA 9.1 Harvesters

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 28, 2014 12:16 PM

Understood about people being on the current version and I push that as much as anybody. However, some situations don't allow for an immediate upgrade, so having the information available for older versions helps those out until they can get the upgrade done.

Aug 28, 2014 12:03 PM

As soon as I verify the versions this changed on, I will update this, waiting on getting some older lab machines.

Although I believe most users are on at least 9.1.3 or 9.2, if anyone is on 9.1.2 or 9.1 they should upgrade to at least 9.1.3 as soon as possible as there have been a ton of fixes included.

Aug 28, 2014 11:10 AM

It would probably be best to put the information for both versions in the doc.

Aug 28, 2014 09:48 AM

I'm going to have to check back on when this changed, my 9.1.3 lab has this current setting.

I am suspecting this changed in 9.1.2 or 9.1.3, but I will have to verify.

Aug 28, 2014 08:43 AM

Which version started using the new parameter?

Aug 27, 2014 07:48 PM

Updated this document as the parameter in the where clause was outdated.  Changed to 'NetFlowPacketListenPort'.

Aug 07, 2014 10:07 AM

We'll bring it up in our board meeting next week and have our community manager communicate the standard to you guys. Thanks for your willingness to help!

Can you edit the document I created? If you can't, then the wiki functionality is broken and we'll have to talk to Sam about what needs to change in the system to get it working like we had it before.

Aug 07, 2014 03:41 AM

I don't see the problem with this. The source is clearly mentioned and Stuart is not claiming it is his content. We are trying to rebuild our old wiki, which is quite a challenge, but for that we need all content as documents. I can't spend time and hunt down the author for every piece of content I want to include on the wiki and ask them if they could please convert it to a document. Some of that content is over a year old (or more) and it really would slow down progress to a crawl if I have to wait for content to be converted every time. The idea behind a wiki is (as far as I know) to share information in a structured way so it is easy for everyone to find. If you find something useful anywhere on the internet, you can include it as long as you include a reference to the source.

Like Stuart said, we'll discuss it again in our next community board meeting, but it was already decided and requested to post this type of content as documents and not discussions so it can be included in the wiki.

Aug 06, 2014 05:11 PM

I posted it in my role as community administrator and moderator. If you'll note, the document is linked to the original discussion, which gives you credit for posting the content originally. 

I'll make a note to bring up tech tips with our community manager again so she can recommunicate the standard we already decided upon. 

Aug 06, 2014 04:59 PM

Also, tech tips going forward are supposed to be posted as documents to begin with. I thought that was the decision we gave back to our community manager which she was supposed to communicate back to you guys.

Aug 06, 2014 04:58 PM

Encouraging comments and collaborations and public editing of the document is exactly what documents are for. The permissions on documents should be set such that all community members can edit them (similar to the wikis we used to have). Is that not the case? Can you not edit the document? You should be able to. Other users cannot edit your post, only you can, which makes adding information to the main body of the content difficult since the original poster is the only one that can do that.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.