DX NetOps Manager

View Only

Spectrum History 

Mar 22, 2013 06:50 AM

Back to:

CA Spectrum

IM Community WIKI Front Page

Wiki_Article_Issues.pngThis article has issue(s). Please help improve it or discuss these issues in the comments area below.
  • This article is missing version history information.
  • This article has empty sections.

This page contains the historical version information and general history for CA Spectrum.

Please add any information you have and feel free to share your personal stories about the history of spectrum on this page or in the comments below.

Version History

VersionProduct nameCode NameRelease dateSupported until
6.6SPECTRUM a.k.a. SPECTRUM Assurance Server
xsight, integrity, infinity editions
(Aprisma)
7.1 Service Pack 2SPECTRUMApril 15, 2005
7.1 Service Pack 3Q3 2005
9.1CA SpectrumMay 22, 2009Feb. 10, 2013 (Except 9.1 Japanese)
9.1.3.H16CA SpectrumJan. 13, 2012Feb. 10, 2013 (Except 9.1 Japanese)
J 9.1.0.H02CA SpectrumFeb. 28, 2012
9.2 SP03 (a.k.a. 9.2.3 and H10)CA SpectrumJan. 17, 2013Apr. 1, 2015
9.2.3 H12CA SpectrumNov. 4, 2013Apr. 1, 2015
9.3CA SpectrumMeadowlandsOct. 1, 2013
9.3 H01CA SpectrumFeb. 14, 2014
9.4.0 (announcement)CA SpectrumDelmarJul. 17, 2014
9.3 H02CA SpectrumQ4, 2014
9.5CA SpectrumChurchillPlanned for 2015
You can verify the current Spectrum installation patch level in the $SPECROOT/Install-Tools/.history file.
Old version
Older version, still supported
Latest version
Future release
Information on future releases is provided for informational purposes only and does not reflect any commitment by CA and as such is subject to change at any time.

General History

Wiki_Article_Issues.png

This section has issue(s). Please help improve it or discuss these issues in the comments area below.

Section needs more content.

Cabletron

Wiki_Article_Issues.png

This section has issue(s). Please help improve it or discuss these issues in the comments area below.

Spectrum was originally developed by Cabletron.

Aprisma

Wiki_Article_Issues.png

Aprisma continued to develop Spectrum.

Concord

Wiki_Article_Issues.png

On February 23, 2005 Concord announced that they acquired Aprisma and the SPECTRUM software solution. You can still read the original announcement on the Aprisma website using the Internet Archive WayBackMachine.

CA

Wiki_Article_Issues.png

It seems like the Aprisma acquisition by Concord was just what CA had been waiting for and on June 7, 2005 CA announced that they acquired Concord to integrate eHealth and SPECTRUM into their IT management software portfolio. Read the original announcement on the Concord website using the Internet Archive WayBackMachine. CA also published an open letter to Concord (and Aprisma) customers on their website at that time. The general message was that they would integrate eHealth and Spectrum with their existing portfolio and they published some specific examples of their intentions:

• As we integrate Concord and Aprisma technology with CA’s industry-leading Unicenter® solutions, we will preserve the modularity of the eHealth and SPECTRUM offerings, giving you the choice of deploying broad and fully integrated solutions, or as stand-alone, best-in-class products.
  • We intend to make SPECTRUM the foundation for CA’s core network service management solution. Its advanced capabilities offer the kind of value you, our customers, tell us you expect from your network service management solutions.
  • The eHealth suite of products will be an important addition to our solution set, especially in the areas of network performance and availability, and capacity reporting.

After several years we now know that there was limited, if any, integration with the Unicenter (NSM) solutions. Over time after the acquisition CA has positioned eHealth and Spectrum as main solutions within the Infrastructure Management portfolio. CA also took the successful OneClick java interface from Spectrum and started developing it as a front-end for eHealth and other related solutions.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 29, 2015 09:30 AM

you can try this  page:  https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-231148866 and there is also the ca wiki --> https://wiki.ca.com/dashboard.action

Sep 28, 2015 07:38 PM

This page is great!  I can use this as a reference when trying to explain about Spectrum.

Is there another for eHealth and other CA products?

Oct 03, 2014 10:35 AM

Our patrol integration was done several years ago (around 2009 I think), but we're still using it. Basically we're using a Patrol notification server to dump all notifications to xml files using a script. Those xml files are then fired into Spectrum using the SBGW. We have generated spectrum event and alarm configuration using a script which uses a dump of all of the patrol parameters as input. Unfortunately the side effect is a huge number of eventmodels, since we get a separate eventmodel for each alarm type for each node. But since they not being polled, it doesn't ask a lot of resources on the SpectroServer so it doesn't cause any big problems. Let me know if you want to go over it in more detail.

Oct 03, 2014 09:57 AM

Hi Michiel, how are you? Have you done the bmc patrol integration recently, I need to integrate  it for a PoC but Ive couldn't find information yet.

Thank you

Jun 27, 2014 10:09 AM

Scott,

Karen and I really do appreciate all the long hours and support you gave us.  I'm sorry for having a part in your hair loss.  I'm also glad to see many of us still poking around.

Sep 27, 2013 03:31 PM

I started supporting Spectrum when 4.0 rev3 was the current release. I had hair.

Apr 04, 2013 10:57 AM

It's amazing to think Spectrum was designed initially to manage the cabletron kit that was around in the early days. It's come a long way since then. There are still many references to the cabletron days in the name of config files, etc.

I remember the MOTIF SpectroGraph even before the fancy new Spectrum OneClick UI. It's pretty impressive how Spectrum has evolved over time and sadly with IM2 out, the road is sure to end sometime soon.

Mar 22, 2013 09:17 PM

It is a shame we don't have a section for the often forgotten but important part of the Cabletron spin-offs, GNTS (Global Network Technology Services). An organization of consultants that was going to win the world over to Spectrum. We were going to make millions helping companies properly setup and run their Spectrum environments.
Ah, those were the days. Fun days before the .com meltdown where we didn't have to think about tomorrow, but just what was going to be the next great installation. The world was ours, but then.......

Mar 22, 2013 04:30 PM

A piece of personal history on Spectrum from me: I remember us staying on 6.6 for ages while we were waiting for the BMC Patrol integration to become available in one of the version 7 service packs (so no OneClick for us yet). In the mean time I attended my first Spectrum user conference in Berlin (I still have the SPECTRUM polo shirt), Concord aquired Aprisma and CA acquired Concord. Just when it started to look like we might be able to plan for an upgrade because there were some rumors an updated Patrol integration would become available, there was an official announcement in the release notes that the integration would be discontinued. Luckily we had already started developing our own integration based on XML events using the Spectrum southbound gateway, which we still use today. It's not as rich as the original Patrol integration, but it works and we were no longer stuck on SPECTRUM 6.6 and could finally enjoy the OneClick console.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.