Service Operations Insight

View Only

Tech Tip: Unknown-Entity alert from Nimsoft (UIM) 

Aug 03, 2015 04:46 AM

Problem:

------------

In my SOI console I can see lot of alerts from Nimsoft (UIM) showing Name: Unknown and Class: Entity as per below screenshot

Noname.jpg

Solution:

-----------

1. Gather 'Source Alert ID' (nimid in Nimsoft (UIM)) for this alert.

I am considering example for nimdi as BZ22306757-19698

2. using this ID run following query against nimsoft (UIM) database

select * from CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM where name in (select hostname from NAS_ALARMS where nimid like '%BZ22306757-19698%')

3. If result returns blank as below screenshot then its a problem with Nimsoft (UIM) and as CI name is not present in Nimsoft (UIM) db, connector has no CI to publish to SOI.

Noname1.jpg

Nimsoft (UIM) connector gather CI information from CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM table and publish to SOI and if CI is not populated to this table connector can not publish CI to SOI and when this CI is alerted, alert is send to SOI but as SOI do not have CI to attach this alert with this alert will shown as Name: Unknown and Class: Entity

This CI is published to CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM table bu discovery probe, hence this issue need to be work from Nimsoft (UIM) side.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 24, 2016 04:28 AM

Hi Abhinav,

Yes, upgrading to the latest UIM connector 3.6. version would be helpful. Please see the latest connector document for fixed problems in this connector version.

Thanks

Brahma

Aug 24, 2016 03:53 AM

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response. Now in my case, I am having the hostname set. Still I am getting the hostname unknown issue at my end. what can be the probable reason for that ? Should I go for the UIM connector upgrade to the latest version ? Is there any downtime needed for that upgrade ?

Aug 23, 2016 11:44 AM

Host Name is fine. Host Name or IP address works fine but if PROFILE NAME would always come up as "Unknown" w/in SOI if you set the alert Source or Alarm Identification method as such.

B/c you can call the profile "bob's laptop ping test" and if you set the alarm source as profile name, when SOI sees and alert from "Bob's laptop ping test" it will have not correlat-able CI to sync that with. SOI would only know about hostnames or IP's.

This change won't effect your dashboards unless your dashboards look for the profile name to changes it status directly in some query.

Not understanding your last question...

Aug 23, 2016 07:25 AM

Hi Daniel,

I have a confusion that what impact would it have after changing the identification method from hostname to IP address on the nimsoft end in the netconnect probe.Right now i have the identification method set to hostname.

Is it fine to be set to the hostname ? Or do I need to change it to hostname ? If yes, what impact would it have on UIM end as well as dashboard end ?

Would it resolve my issue of unknown hostname at SOI end ? What about the servers that are not added in netconnect probe ?

Jul 13, 2016 03:16 PM

Hello, the #1 thing to check on the UIM side in all your profiles if your using UIM with SOI is to make sure that all profiles when they generate an alert, to make sure the Alarm Identification Method, or the Alarm Source is set to the IP Address, or Robot Address. DO not specify Profile Name as SOI will have no clue how to correlate the profile name as the alert source, to an actual CI. I hit this issue with the net_connect probe, net_app, remote monitoring probe, etc.. That would be the 1st thing to check is your profile setups.

Jul 13, 2016 05:30 AM

Hi All,

I am also facing the same issue.

When I ran the query, no data was returned and it was blank. So, it's sure that this is an issue with UIM(Nimsoft).

Can anybody tell me any known solution that can be applied at UIM end to resolve this.

BR,

Abhinav

Oct 20, 2015 06:45 AM

Hi Marek, You should run IFW and Connector in debug and see if this CI is published to the SOI. Thanks, Ashay

Oct 20, 2015 06:34 AM

Ashay,

I have same problem, my UIM alarms are classified as unknown (Name: Unknown and Class: Entity).

But in my case, on UIM side everything seems to be OK as select, you mentioned above, returns data as expected:

Could you advice me, what else should I check on UIM side or what could be wrong on SOI side?

Kind regards,

Marek Lukes

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.