Release Automation

View Only

“Nolio Update Service”: Don’t get surprised? 

Nov 03, 2014 10:07 AM

With improvement and addition of new features in successive releases, sometime founding new services running under hood surprises a lots.

With CA Release Automation version 5.0 onwards you would be finding one additional service which is installed and running beside “Nolio Release Automation Server” i.e. “Nolio Update Service”. So now don’t be surprise seeing it at first.

We will describe what is it used for, which functionality it support and how to manage this service below.

What is “Nolio Update Service” used for?

The ROC UI of Release Automation provides a new feature i.e. Action Management by which end user can determine how many action packs are installed and available for them to install. It is a separate service or daemon that must be running.

Think of it just like an app-store where end-user can browse all available apps. Likewise app-store Action Management will also notify if you have an updated version of action-pack available for the one you have installed in your environment.

Refer screen shot below to understand what feature update service support. The * below refers that for these action pack an updated version is available to install or upgrade.

UpdateSvcimg1.png

What will happen if I stop “Nolio Update service”?

If for some reason you will stop “Nolio Update service” then it will not malfunction the product but it will stop functionality of “Action Management” on ROC.

Refer screen shot below to ascertain ROC – Action Management behavior.

updatesvcimg2.png

What are various administrative/installation requirement for “Nolio Update service”?

Nolio Update service requires below configuration to be properly set to support its installation and proper functioning. Please refer below snippet take from RA installation guide. Please refer to installation guide for more details.

updatesvcimg3.png

Configuration related to “Nolio Update Service”

Action pack content come from Update Service.  There is URL.ini in UpdateService directory that looks like below.  CA_PACK_URL is the URL where it gets actions packs from.

#Wed Jan 29 15:38:12 EST 2014

CA_URL=ftp\://ftp.ca.com/pub/dpm/ReleaseAutomation/UpdateService

CA_PACK_URL=ftp\://ftp.ca.com/pub/dpm/ReleaseAutomationActions/ActionPacks

INTERVAL=1440

REST_PORT=8083

What are most common administrative tasks related to “Nolio Update service”?

How can I stop/start “Nolio Update service”?

“Nolio Update service” can be stop/start by below procedure

Windows ServersLinux Servers
  1. On start  menu type Run->services.msc
  2. In Services window locate “Nolio Update service” right click and click on start/stop/restart
  1. <RA Install base directory>/ReleaseAutomationServer/UpdateService
  2. Invoke command sh nolio_update_service start/stop

How can I disable “Nolio Update service”?

To disable “Nolio Update service“, please find below instruction

Windows ServersLinux Servers
  1. On start  menu type Run->services.msc
  2. In Services window locate “Nolio Update service” right click and click on Properties
  3. In Properties window select startup type and select disabled                                                                                                                                                                        
  1. <RA Install base directory>/ReleaseAutomationServer/UpdateService
  2. Invoke command as described below

# remove_service_from_runlevels.sh <sourceFilePath> <sourceFileName>

#Example:

# remove_service_from_runlevels.sh . nolio_update_service

Note: If you get error no service found possiblity is that may be service not running at run level. You can verify the same by giving below command and checking if it retrun service details.

Command: Unix% chkconfig --list nolio_update_service

Result: nolio_update_service    0:off  1:off  2:on 3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 02, 2015 09:54 AM

Thanks Keith – It would be interesting to hear the logic behind the reasons why this was deemed necessary to be a separate service of which needs to be integrated separately into INIT for resilience.

I.e. if it is key for the functionality of a particular key component why was it simply not included in the main application? Albeit with reduced functionality should no internet access be available.

I’m not expecting you to answer this I’m sure CA/Nolio have their reasons.

Thanks again

Stuart

Sep 02, 2015 09:46 AM

Hi

The update service needs to be running for this to work but the service does not need to have access to the CA Grp server.

Regards

Keith

Sep 01, 2015 10:39 AM

Hi,

That doesn’t work for me –

Navigate to ROC action management as superuser.

No actions showing in list

Click on installed packs – import – browse to previously downloaded action pack on local laptop – import – success message.

Go to ASAP – browse to add a new action – action doesn’t exist…

Now in ASAP – navigate to admin – action management - + to add new action pack - navigate to local laptop location where action pack is – import – success….

Now I can use the actions I just uploaded in asap.

Now – start update service.. re- perform import via roc – now actions are availabe in ASAP…

Have you tried this yourself without the update service running?

Cheers

Stuart

Sep 01, 2015 10:24 AM

Hi,

Action packs can be loaded manually using the ROC action pack screen in the same way as ASAP and this does not rely on the update service connecting to the FTP server . To manually load an action pack download the action pack from the CA site and in the "Action Management" screen in the ROC click on the "Installed Packs" tab and click the Import button, point to the action pack to be imported and click open and the action pack will be imported. Does this answer your question?

Regards

Keith

Sep 01, 2015 09:57 AM

Surely for security reasons most organisations will simply not enable internet access out from their management domains.

I have had a look and i don't see an option via the ftp site to download a single complete action pack archive artifact. If this was available those using RA within an enterprise environment without internet access from the domain would be able to setup their own action pack ftp site (updated periodically) and repoint the update service at it thus only updating the action packs installed without the need to individually go through the list to see which action packs are required then check to see if they have any updates to them.

We are currently using v5.0.2, can you confirm if as the development of RA progresses away from ASAP will the action pack management be impossible without the update service enabled because as we know the ROC Action management section requires it to be enabled?

thanks

Stuart

Aug 13, 2015 04:12 PM

Hi Liz,

This is the most up to date version of the document.

CA Release Automation Architecture and Implementation Guide 5.5 V2.4

Regards

keith

Aug 13, 2015 04:07 PM

Aug 13, 2015 09:11 AM

Hi,

Currently we don't support proxy but we have an Enhancement Request covering the same. I would request if you can vote and provide some more comments to same. This ER been raised for version 5.0.2, but i think hold good for current GA version too.

Update service doesn't support use of proxy version 5.0.2?

Thanks,

Saurabh

Aug 13, 2015 09:09 AM

Hi,

Currently the update service does not support proxy servers but this is on the backlog for Release Automation, a work around can be found in the architecture guide where there are details for creating an internal FTP server and re-configuring the update service. let me know if you need any more details

Regards

Keith

Aug 13, 2015 08:31 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to configure a proxy for the update service connection?

Nov 03, 2014 10:27 AM

My Pleasure

Nov 03, 2014 10:20 AM

Thank you jaisa05 (Saurabh) for posting this helpful information to the community.
Mary

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.