DX NetOps Manager

View Only

Scenarios for upgrading to CA Spectrum 10.2 

Dec 16, 2016 03:29 PM

Hi Everyone,

I put together a lengthy document outlining different upgrade scenarios for going from 9.2.x, 9.3.x, 9.4.x and 10.x to 10.2.  I hope you find it useful.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you

Jay

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
8 Downloads
Attachment(s)
docx file
CA_Spectrum 10.2_Upgrade_Scenarios.docx   24 KB   1 version
Uploaded - May 29, 2019

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Aug 07, 2018 04:49 PM

Hi Jason.

Yep, the first option is what I intend to accomplish. I´m going to install a fresh Spectrum in a fresh hardware and Linux OS.

Then, I´m going to upgrade old one to 10.2.3 and the next step is save and load SSdb at the fresh Spectrum.

Does this all data move I must to do ? I mean, all events, rules, configurations, models, topology, GC´s, etc will be at this new one Spectrum after SSdb load ?

Thank you again.

Clecimar

Aug 07, 2018 01:56 PM

Hi Clecimar,

If you are just looking to upgrade Spectrum and move to a different OS, you have 2 options:

a.  Upgrade in place to 10.2.3 (or 10.3 once released)

b.  Install on the new hardware - make sure the Spectrum release is the same as the original configuration

c.  Save your SSdb on the original setup.

d.  Load your SSdb to the new setup.

a.  Save your SSdb on your original setup and unzip it and rename it to dbsavefile.SSdb

b.  Put that file on the new OS in the $SPECROOT/SS directory

c.  Run the 10.2.0 install and specify the $SPECROOT and then run the 10.2.3 install (or just run the 10.3.0 install once released).

Both processes do essentially the same thing.  The difference being that in the first configuration you will have SS down time on the original setup while you upgrade it.  

Cheers!

Jay

Aug 06, 2018 04:45 PM

Thank you. This is new for me, I mean, to all this tasks. Are there something I need to be aware in order to avoid issues ?

For example, in order "to export" information from the older Spectrum I need to upgrade it until a version compatible in some way to the new one, right ?

This old one is on 9.4.0.

Thank you again.

Clecimar

Aug 06, 2018 04:19 PM

Hi Clecimar,

Yes, that will be fine.  The SSdb save file is not operating system dependent.  So you can save it on one OS and load it on another.

Cheers!

Jay

Aug 06, 2018 02:48 PM

Hi Jason. Very helpfull your document. I have this scenario here: upgrade from a 9.4.0 in Windows to most recently version in Linux. What I´m planning to do: upgrade 9.4.0 until 10.x in order to export db to a fresh installation of the most recently CA Spectrum version. What do you think about ?

Thank you.

Clecimar

Dec 07, 2017 11:06 AM

Hi Uwe,

Is there a firewall between those SS?  Sounds like ports might be blocked…

Cheers

Jay

Dec 07, 2017 08:33 AM

Hi Jason,

the old spectroserver dss is on 9.4.4 and the new fresh installation is on a new server farm running 10.2.2

This was the result this morning :

spectrum@sedca001012ssp:/home/Spectrum/SS-Tools : ./modelinggateway -vnm Spectrodag01 -e Spectrodag01_import10_data.xml

Modeling Gateway export started.  Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 08:36:57 AM UTC

Failed to bind model domain "Spectrodag01": org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXISTorg.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST:   vmcid: 0x0  minor code: 0  completed: No

best regards

Uwe

Dec 07, 2017 08:22 AM

Hi Uwe,

You can run the 10.2.0 and hotfix patch installs on the new server.  Once the installs are complete on the new server, run the modeling gateway on the new server, connecting it to the old server:

for example:  ./modelinggateway -vnm <nameofoldSS> -user <username> -e <exportfile> -o <outputfile> -d <debugfile>

Cheers!

Jay

Dec 07, 2017 08:09 AM

Hi Jason,

we want to update now and have to use user option 3 (Fresh Install and Modeling Gateway Export/Import) but I am wondering how this : "Run the modeling gateway export from any 10.2 SpectroSERVER and connect it to the pre 10.2 SpectroSERVER(s)." should work.

Can you explain what to do.

Thanks Uwe

Mar 31, 2017 02:34 PM

No, the integration does not need to be disabled. Leave it integrated and do the upgrade.

Cheers!

Jay

Mar 31, 2017 02:31 PM

No, sorry but the modeling gateway does not export SPM tests and/or the test results.  You cannot get them replicated from 3 to 1 SS.  You could select 1 SSdb and then you'd have to manually create the rest that weren't in that SSdb.

Cheers,

Jay

Mar 30, 2017 01:53 PM

Hi Jay,

We are planning to upgrade Spectrum 10.2.1 from 10.2 ,this setup is integrated with UIM with vmware and server management .Will the integration must be disabled for upgrade or it can be done in online. I hope it can be done without disabling the integration and vmware .Kindly suggest .

Regards

Mar 17, 2017 05:54 AM

Can we migrate SPM Tests and Custom SubView Filelds data using Spectrum Modeling Gateway? If not, what should be the best possible way to get the same replicated from 3 SpectroSERVERs converted into new Single SpectroSERVER.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.