DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 05, 2016 11:49 AM

Hello Spectrum Community,

My name is Kimberly Becan and I am the Product Marketing Manager for Spectrum.  I am working closely with Kiran Diwakar to make sure we address your needs and implement features that will make you successful.

Your ideas and votes count!  As you can see we have implemented over 40 features from the Community. 

Now we would love to hear the benefits you and your team are seeing with running Spectrum 10.x releases. Share your experiences with key features like 64-bit, Wireless, WebClient, any feature that you are experiencing great value. We are excited to hear the benefits of bringing your ideas to life.

Thanks,

Kimberly Becan

• 2.  Re: Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 25, 2016 07:00 PM

Community, I am bumping this thread to the top - please participate and share your thoughts / feedback with becki03

• 3.  Re: Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 26, 2016 02:28 AM

To give my point of view on this.

Clearly the big improvement is 64 bit Spectrum. We are in the process of designing a new platform and this is enabling us to simply put all the customer devices on one landscape instead of the current 12 we have (plus standby servers where customers pay for it). the ability to do this on a VM platform goes without saying on the TCO we get back from Spectrum and increasing the margins the company can make. This one move makes Spectrum 'best of class' but guess I am biased !

The other improvement is the web client. It does still need some further improvements as discussed on here but is an important step IMHO in the development of the product going forward. Whether Spectrum long term can be moved away from Java (the problems we all have with ITHC ??) is something maybe someone can update us on but this is a good step on the way.

• 4.  Re: Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 27, 2016 02:58 AM

Personally the 64-bit is the biggest gain for us. We would never put all our eggs in one basket, so have reduced our number of landscapes but don't want to put everything on 1 landscape. It is more the performance that we are after. We also benefit from some REST API fixes. I think in today's world using API's is essential and almost a must-have so this is something I am happy that is being taken seriously by CA. There's still some work to do but it's definitely improving. All the other features that are improved upon also help us.

I think the web client is a good start, and shows the capability but I think over time this will improve even more so we can customise the look and feel more.

• 5.  Re: Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 28, 2016 08:41 AM

Previewed the Spectrum 10 WebClient with some users in Comcast.  They like everything except having to page through alarms.  They indicated that they would most likely default to the java client so they can continue to scroll through alarms.

• 6.  Re: Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 28, 2016 01:49 PM

The 64bit update is a huge step forward for performance and system consolidation!  The ROI for the sheer number of spectrum servers we can eliminate with this is a big win that is not necessarily touted as much as it probably should be.  This helps some customers collapse their entire environment into one landscape, so that's huge!

The web client has also proven itself extremely helpful in our environment by getting us around some important Java conflicts for our users.  These days, a lot of users don't have local admin rights on their PCs/workstations/laptops so they can't install different versions of Java.  Having the web client lets us eliminate that at a basic level.  Obviously, for the admins it's still an issue, but that has already gotten us ahead for the users.  This is clearly the first pass for the web client and I think we all applaud the fact that it finally exists!  If you can spend some product cycles on getting more of the basic workflow items from the Java console into the web client, that would be fantastic!  Pretty much everyone who uses the Spectrum console uses the Nav panel, Alarms, and the Information and Events tabs.  2 of 3 panels (Nav and Alarms) are there, but we need to see the events that surround the alarms to help us troubleshoot the alarm!  After that, topology is probably next on many folk's list.  Hopefully others will add their $.02 to the wish list of priorities for the web client, but this is my shameless plug for getting the events added in ASAP!

Keep up the good work taking our ideas from the communities and putting them into the product...

• 7.  Re: Over 40 features implemented from Community Ideas!

Posted Apr 28, 2016 03:16 PM

great feedback so far,  let's keep it coming.. anybody else ?