Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Exporting content from Discussions tab

• 1.  Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 29, 2018 04:52 PM
    Hi folks,

While exporting the available defects using "Export to CSV" , the content in the Discussions tab  inside each defect are not getting exported. Is there any way I can export the discussions data into any file?

Thanks in advance,

Vijay Ete.

• 2.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 30, 2018 08:34 AM

Hi Vijay, is this for the Agile Central community? This is currently posted in the Test Data Manager community. 

• 3.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 30, 2018 11:20 AM

Hi Taylor, I did not know Test Data Manager is altogether a different tool, and the reason I dropped my question there is because I am from the testing team and we used Agile Central for our test management. Thanks

• 4.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 30, 2018 12:40 PM

I moved it to the Agile Central community page so that someone from their product team can answer your question. 

• 5.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 30, 2018 02:45 PM

Awesome ! Thanks for moving it, Taylor. 

• 6.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 30, 2018 08:48 PM

Hey Vijay, you have to make sure that whatever you want to export is included in your view of work items.  So if you have a grid that shows: 

Formatted ID | Name | Description | Plan Est

It would only export those four values. 

In order to include Discussions in the export, please add Discussions to your view/grid, then run the export.  

Hope that helps!

• 7.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 31, 2018 10:15 AM

Thanks for that John. But when I include Discussions in the report, it is only pulling the number of posts under Discussions but not the actual post content from the Discussions. 

Can you please help me out with this? 

Thanks in advance.

• 8.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 31, 2018 11:39 AM

Vijay, I'm so sorry! That's what I get for answering questions late at night!

I completely forgot that you can't actually export Discussions in the same way as other fields because Discussions aren't actually a "field", rather they are collections of a separate record type that is associated to the work item (or artifact). So, there's not a simple way (at this time) to export Discussions.

Here's a Knowledge Base article that discusses how to extract discussions using our Web Services API: How to extract artifact discussions using WSAPI  

I also found a custom, unsupported app that does pull in Discussions content into a grid: discussions-of-user-stories/App.html at master · nmusaelian-rally/discussions-of-user-stories · GitHub. You can copy & paste the HTML into a Custom HTML app on a custom page to display the app. 

If you have the skills, you might be able to update the app's code to allow for export. 

I'm sorry I'm not able to provide you a more direct solution!

• 9.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Jan 31, 2018 01:35 PM

John, I can see that the Custom HTML app suits my requirement since I need to export content of bulk items. But I am not sure if I am allowed to download the APP SDK in our project. I have to check possibilities to install the app first.

• 10.  Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Feb 06, 2018 05:48 AM

vijay.ete, have you utilized the Excel Add-in before?  With it, I am able to extract the defect, parent, grandparent data along with the discussions. 

Query: Defect Discussions
    Query Type: Conversation Post

Order: Creation Date

Columns:  CreationDate,PostNumber,Text,Artifact.FormattedID,Artifact.Name,Artifact.Description,Artifact.Requirement.FormattedID,Artifact.Requirement.Name,Artifact.Requirement.Feature.FormattedID,Artifact.Requirement.Feature,User,Artifact.Owner,Artifact.Project,Artifact.ScheduleState,Artifact.State,Artifact.CreationDate,Artifact.InProgressDate,Artifact.AcceptedDate

• 11.  RE: Re: Exporting content from Discussions tab

Posted Oct 23, 2020 01:24 PM
    Which excel add-in are you using?  There are 2, or there WERE 2, please specify or post a link to the add-in info.  Thanks