Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

• 1.  Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 12:29 PM

To show some love to our subscription and workspace administrators, we've added a field occurrence viewer to Agile Central!

Let's say you want to delete a field value that you are no longer using. For example, maybe we decide that we don't want to use the Submitted value for the State field. In this case, you would need to update all work items that are using that Submitted value to use a different value before you would be able to remove Submitted from the list of selectable values. With the new occurrence viewer, you can easily target the work items using the value you're looking for so you can make the changes needed to remove that value.

When viewing fields, there is a new "see occurrences" link that will allow you to see where that field has values.

Clicking this link will show you a sortable table that shows if the item is recycled, and the projects plus if the project is closed. 

• 2.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2017 01:46 PM

This is fantastic news and will be so helpful!  Yay!  A couple of questions grama23

1. What exactly does the recycle field indicate? Does it indicate that the field had been used previously and was re-purposed?
    2. For some reason the value for the occurrences is not showing up for me.  I've looked at a couple of examples so far, but nothing, does the value only appear for certain data types?

So appreciate the love

• 3.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2017 03:53 PM

Thanks for the questions Sheri.L.Moore

1. The recycled field will indicate if that work item is recycled. It should help users figure out where the work items are that need to be updated.
    2. I'll contact you directly about this so we can sort this out.

• 4.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2017 04:48 PM

work item!  gotcha!  I'm pretty packed today, but tomorrow should work, thanks!

• 5.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2017 06:02 PM

I liked this part the best!!

So appreciate the love 

• 6.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted May 30, 2018 09:46 AM

Hi Sheri/Marianne,

I have the same question as Sheri. Does the Occurrences value only appear for certain data types? I know I have seen it before, but somehow I don't seem to find them now. :/

Regards,

Niveditha

• 7.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted May 30, 2018 11:08 AM

Hey both,

Never mind, I found it. I was looking at the project level instead of workspace level. 

Regards,

Nivi

• 8.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Aug 10, 2017 04:22 PM

Thank you for updating the community Marianne!

Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer 

• 9.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Aug 11, 2017 08:01 AM

grama23 I do so much work with custom fields that I saw the new feature before I saw the product announcement! This is a huge help, thank you! I do have one enhancement to suggest- while I can infer to some extent in which projects a custom field is visible from this, when a field has a lot of occurrences that gets tough. I'd really, really love to see a list of projects where the custom field is visible so that I can more easily check the field's scope. Just a thought, plus it would directly address https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D4237. Thanks again!

• 10.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Aug 11, 2017 11:02 AM

grama23 Being able to export the data would be another great benefit!!

• 11.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Jun 06, 2018 11:26 AM

On a side note for the same display, I'd like to know which project(s) this field is visible.  I've cases where the field is visible for one project and hidden in ## projects.  I have to look at revision history to track it down.  Would be nice to see Project occurrences here.  Thank you,

• 12.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Jun 06, 2018 06:22 PM

I was a bit confused for a second there, but now I see what you mean - it would be nice to know a bit more about projects rather than just "Mixed":

• 13.  Re: Product Announcement - Field Occurrence Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2018 10:39 AM

I agree, it would be of huge help if we also get to know what all projects the field is visible to. 

e.g. the "8 projects" in the above screenshot could be a link that would list out all projects that the field is visible in, upon clicking.

Right now there is no easy way of knowing this information. Currently, ff the field is visible in just one project out of 50, then I'd have to navigate back to "revisions" or look for the field project by project until I find the right project.