DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  HowTo fetch metrics from a legacy C application

Posted May 25, 2015 01:54 AM

Can anyone point me to an implementation document for fetching metrics from a legacy C application. The application has a bunch of metrics collected and there exists a way to retrieve them using a Java application. What would be the best way to use APM to monitor these metrics.  I could gather that I need to write a agent for this, but I need more information on specifics of the agent implementation.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: HowTo fetch metrics from a legacy C application
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 25, 2015 06:25 PM

I think you are referring to the EPAgent which is a java based agent which uses script plugins to gather metrics from non-Java (& non-.NET) sources. Here is a very useful overview video from 2 of our SMEs: The Environment Performance Agent Overview

Also here is relevant guide from the current APM 9.7 WIKI:

CA APM Environment Performance Agent Implementation Guide

Hope this helps

• 3.  Re: HowTo fetch metrics from a legacy C application

Posted May 26, 2015 06:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply,this is the solution I was looking for.

I had another query on the EPAAgent metric format.  The metric format in txt is of form <metric-name> = <value> . For any metric series, the samples are collected against dimension of time. This format does not take at which timestamp this value for the metric is observed. Is there a way to add the timestamp as well so that the series has the time dimension as well?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: HowTo fetch metrics from a legacy C application

Posted May 26, 2015 12:26 PM

Performance values cannot be added to the Enterprise Manager retroactively, therefore the timestamp for the data is always when it was sent to the EPAgent.  Usually you'll just run your script (or whatever is providing your EPA data) on a regular basis and just keep sending it to the agent.  The data intervals at the Enterprise Manager are every 15 seconds, however, the agent itself supports more granular data and will roll it up into the 15 second intervals. 

Regards,

Tim