DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  'Is device currently reachable via SNMP' attribute

Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:21 PM

This might seem like a basic question (and it probably is!) but is there any attribute in Spectrum which tells me if the device is currently reachable via SNMP and if it's reachable via ICMP?

I know Contact Status stays 'Established' if the device is still reachable via ICMP but not SNMP. I need to know if there is a way to determine this via attributes.

I know you can find this by looking at alarms for the device but I don't want to have to find all devices with the alarm 'MANAGEMENT AGENT LOST'.

I'm hoping to do one query which tells me if a device is accessible via ICMP and/or SNMP.

Note: I don't want to have to do a PING and/or snmp poll either.  This will take ages if I do a query on 100+ or more devices if I have to do this on demand!

Surely this should be somewhere in Spectrum but I can't find it

Thanks,

Frank

• 2.  Re: 'Is device currently reachable via SNMP' attribute
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2015 03:47 PM

Dev_Contact_Status (0x110ed) is the attribute you are looking for

• 3.  Re: 'Is device currently reachable via SNMP' attribute

Posted Apr 09, 2015 03:51 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out today.

Regards,

Frank

• 4.  Re: 'Is device currently reachable via SNMP' attribute

Posted Apr 09, 2015 08:18 AM

Hi Roger_Nason,

Is a pingable device reachable via SNMP?

I say that because the value of the attribute you mentioned "Dev_Contact_Status" on a pingable device and on a router monitored via SNMP (i.e. Rtr_Cisco) is the same, iqual to 1.

Regards,

Felipe

• 5.  Re: 'Is device currently reachable via SNMP' attribute

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2015 09:14 AM

No, a Pingable model is not reachable via SNMP. However, on SNMP-capable models, the Dev_Contact_Status attribute reflects the SNMP contact status, while Contact_Status reflects ICMP contact. So on an SNMP device where Spectrum cannot communicate with the SNMP agent, but can ping the IP, Contact_Status will be 1 and Dev_Contact_Status will be 0. Under normal conditions, agent up and IP reachable both attributes will be 1. On a Pingable model Dev_Contact_Status reflects ICMP contact only.

• 6.  Re: 'Is device currently reachable via SNMP' attribute

Posted Apr 09, 2015 09:36 AM

Got it! Thanks Roger_Nason!