Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Migrate SOI to New Windows OS

Posted Feb 07, 2018 10:36 AM

We have to migrate our current SOI 4.2 install from a Windows 2008R OS to Windows 2016 OS.  We are running our install on VMs and would like to know if anyone has already done this?

IF so, was it difficult?

What steps did you take to move SOI over to the new OS?  I am guessing that once the OS is in place; restoring a back up of SOI to the new server should be the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance for sharing any information you might have.

RJ Jones

• 2.  Re: Migrate SOI to New Windows OS

Posted Feb 08, 2018 03:19 AM

Hi RJ,

can you please explain more in detail what you mean by "migrating" SOI?

Do you migrate the complete SOI application, or only the DB?

Do you make use of MS SQL 2016?

If you want to run the entire SOI application on the new systems, you have to install a new SOI system.

The DB can be exported and re-imported into the new MS SQL server, but MS SQL 2016 is not yet supported.

There are special steps that have to be performed to make use of a "foreign" DB as DB for the new SOI system.

You can best open a CA Support issue and get guidance what to do.

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: Migrate SOI to New Windows OS

Posted Feb 08, 2018 01:22 PM

Hey Michael,

Happy New Year.

Sorry for any confusion in my question.  We need to move our current installation from a Windows 2008R server to Windows 2016.  So, based on what you said; we want to run the entire SOI app on a new OS.  After seeing all the views and no response; I did open a ticket with CA and Kiet gave me the 411.  Looks to be pretty straight forward for the DB.  Will probably at least move to Sql 2014 for now.  As for the rest of SOI (Mgr, GUI, connector); that looks to be a little more challenging.  Nevertheless; we will get it done.

I am going to consider this question as answered and work with Support to get this figured out.

Thanks for taking the time to response.

RJ