Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot select task in Time Sheet

• 1.  Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 09:55 AM
    One of our project managers is having an issue recording time. We have a pre-set template that creates multiple tasks in a project. The person in charge of the project is listed as the Project Manager and it is set to active. However, one of the tasks is not able to be selected when he logs time. We made sure the PM put himself on the task as well as the overall project. I also verified the user, and the task itself are open for time entry, the task started back in march and the end date is pushed out to next year. We can see other tasks assigned to the PM, but not this one. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 09:59 AM

jcopersi wrote:

I also verified the user, and the task itself are open for time entry
    How about the user on the project (i.e. the TEAM details page) - there is another "Open for Time Entry" there.

• 3.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 10:24 AM

Dave wrote:

jcopersi wrote:

I also verified the user, and the task itself are open for time entry
    How about the user on the project (i.e. the TEAM details page) - there is another "Open for Time Entry" there.
    Yes, he is open for time entry in the project. He can see the next task, but not this specific task.

• 4.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 10:30 AM
    is it just that one user who can not add the task, or can other users?

If it is "just" that one user - checlk the user's "Track Mode" (must be Clarity)

If it is all users, check the task hierarchy (like Owen suggested) AND check the project's track mode

• 5.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 10:46 AM

Dave wrote:

is it just that one user who can not add the task, or can other users?

If it is "just" that one user - checlk the user's "Track Mode" (must be Clarity)

If it is all users, check the task hierarchy (like Owen suggested) AND check the project's track mode
    Added myself to the project and cannot access the task either. However, we can both add the task next in line in the hierarchy. I also verified that all tasks on the project are open for time entry. All of us involved are set to Clarity for Track Mode. Why can se see task #2, but not task #1 on the project?

• 6.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet
    Best Answer

Posted May 21, 2012 10:59 AM
    OK, interesting.... I think we've covered the "obvious" ideas now though.... :unsure:

(
    apart from maybe checking things like;
    the task isn't a milestone is it?
    can you create ANOTHER task in the plan and add that OK? (if so then the original task maybe "corrupted" - can you just delete it?)
    )

This thread Cannot See Task In Timesheet has a lot of infoirmation, including some SQL that you can use to do some detailed "why" analysis.

• 7.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 09:08 PM
    I have a frequent offender to reveal:

If the task has a parent task, is the parent task open for time entry?

And... is the task status "completed"?

• 8.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 22, 2012 02:51 AM
    Agreed that is frequent, but it is also very well hidden.

What would be the best precise for the PM to see if this is the case?

Martti K.

• 9.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 22, 2012 03:41 AM

Connie_Fu wrote:

I have a frequent offender to reveal:

If the task has a parent task, is the parent task open for time entry?
    Maybe frequent, but well-known ; this is just what Owen suggested in the very first reply to the thread!

Connie_Fu wrote:

And... is the task status "completed"?
    and there must be some subtely to this one (eg dependant upon Clarity versions?) since I can add completed tasks to a timesheet in 8.1.

• 10.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 22, 2012 06:05 AM
    Yes seems to version dependent.
    In 12.1.0.5840 could not add completed task to the timesheet.

Martti K.

• 11.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 22, 2012 07:25 AM
      |   view attached
    You could put many of the prerequisite data in an OWB view. That would display most of data in one place.
    The Open for Timeentry on Team member properties page appears to be one that cannot be displayed in OWB.

Martti K.

• 12.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 09:59 AM
    If the task is part of a task hierarchy in the workbreakdown structure, e.g. Phase | Activity | Task then make sure all the tasks at each level are open for time entry.

Owen

• 13.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 21, 2012 10:36 AM

Owen_R wrote:

If the task is part of a task hierarchy in the workbreakdown structure, e.g. Phase | Activity | Task then make sure all the tasks at each level are open for time entry.

Owen
    The user is set to open for time entry in all locations. Also, the task is set to open for tiem entry. This is the first task in the Clarity Time Charging tasks group and the user can select the next task, however not this one.

• 14.  RE: Cannot select task in Time Sheet

Posted May 22, 2012 04:20 AM
    Check the wbs level of the task in both - GUI and the db. It might happen that the parent is showing different in GUI, and in db is showing different, and the parent is not open for time entry.

NJ