Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Sep 12, 2019 09:13 AM
    Edited by Michael A. Lowry Sep 13, 2019 03:54 AM
    We are running the Automic Web Interface (AWI) in a Cloud Foundry-based app cloud. Because the AWI server runs in its own container, getting access to logs is a bit cumbersome. To work around this limitation, I decided to try to find a way to redirect logging output from the AWI to a Logstash server, whence it can be accessed via Kibana.

There is a Logstash Logback Encoder, but I it doesn't seem to be included with the AWI. I trying replacing the RollingFileAppender section in logback.xml with a corresponding LogstashTcpSocketAppender section, but no logging messages were sent.

Has anyone gotten this working?

@Robert Thullner: Is this something that could be added without too much difficulty?

• 2.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Sep 12, 2019 09:32 AM
    Hey Michael,

quick heads-up: Robert Thullner has left Broadcom. You may want to reference @Tatjana Radic instead.

Br,
    Carsten​​

• 3.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Sep 13, 2019 10:50 AM
    Hi Michael,

Would it be an option to install filebeats on the AWI server to monitor the AWI log file(s) then have filebeats send the output to Logstash?
    Regards,
    George

• 4.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Sep 16, 2019 09:55 AM
    @George Del Busto: Right now, we are running the AWI in a PaaS (platform as as service) app cloud using the standard Java buildpack. This approach is dead simple, but does not lend itself to running multiple independent processes side by side in the same container.

In order to do as you suggest, we would likely have to switch to setting up full-blown VMs for the AWI, including installation of Tomcat etc.

In the interests of making the process more reliable and repeatable, I have also played a bit with running the AWI in a Docker container, but I haven't gotten it working yet.

• 5.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Oct 03, 2022 07:24 AM
    Several replies disappeared from this thread. Ping @Jason McClellan.

• 6.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 03, 2022 09:08 AM
    Edited by Jason McClellan Oct 03, 2022 09:08 AM
    I submitted a new idea for this:

Enable Logstash appender for Logback in AWI

It would be ideal if out-of-the box, the AWI supported redirecting logging output to a Logstash server, whence AWI logs be accessed via Kibana. This would be particularly useful in environments where the Automic Web Interface (AWI) is run in a Cloud Foundry-based app cloud. There is a Logstash Logback Encoder that could be included with the AWI. Then, enabling logging output to the Logstash would be a simple as replacing the RollingFileAppender section in the AWI’s logback.xml with a corresponding LogstashTcpSocketAppender section.

• 7.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Oct 03, 2022 07:17 AM
    Broadcom deleted the idea without providing a statement on whether the idea was accepted. I have requested a statement from @Kaj Wierda.

• 8.  RE: AWI: Logstash appender for Logback

Posted Oct 03, 2022 09:08 AM
    I submitted an idea about this in September 2019:

Enable Logstash appender for Logback in AWI

It would be ideal if out-of-the box, the AWI supported redirecting logging output to a Logstash server, whence AWI logs be accessed via Kibana. This would be particularly useful in environments where the Automic Web Interface (AWI) is run in a Cloud Foundry-based app cloud. There is a Logstash Logback Encoder that could be included with the AWI. Then, enabling logging output to the Logstash would be a simple as replacing the RollingFileAppender section in the AWI's logback.xml with a corresponding LogstashTcpSocketAppender section.

The idea was unceremoniously deleted without comment from Broadcom. I have asked the product manager for a statement on the idea.​​​