Symantec Access Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Stop OneView Monitor Service

• 1.  Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 29, 2018 04:52 AM

Hi,

I installed policy server on two of my linux servers. On of the server when I execute the start-all command to start the services it starts the OneView Monitoring service as well(as checked on smconsole) but on the other this does not happen.

Can you please let know how can I stop this service permanently so that when I execute ./start-all command this service does not start.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

• 2.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 29, 2018 06:00 AM

Hi Pankaj,

Start and stop scripts (all services).

Two scripts are provided to start and stop all Policy Server processes (Policy Server, OneView Monitor, RiskMinder).
    These scripts also stop the UNIX executive so that the process does not restart automatically.

installation_path/siteminder/start-all
    installation_path/siteminder/stop-all

Start and Stop Methods (Policy Server service only)

To start and stop only the Policy Server process, execute the smpolsrv script.

installation_path/siteminder/start-ps
    installation_path/siteminder/stop-ps

Refer : https://docops.ca.com/ca-single-sign-on/12-52-sp2/en/administrating/starting-and-stopping-the-policy-server/start-and-stop-the-policy-server-process-on-a-unix-system/

Regards,
    Leo Joseph.

• 3.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 29, 2018 06:24 AM

Hi Pankaj,

I think you can try modifying the start-all script and manually add the stopping commands for monitor service before exit.

Command:
    $NETE_PS_ROOT/smmon -stop $verbose

If you want add any validations, you can do the same by editing the following:
    <<
    pid=`ps -e | grep smexec | cut -c1-6`

if [[ "$pid" -eq 0 ]] then
          if [[ "$verbose" = "" ]] then
          echo "$(gettext "The SiteMinder Executive is not running.")"
          fi
         exit 1
       fi
    >>
    If you notice the PID of monitoring service, parent PID of it will be smexec PID, that's why it is better to initially check if smexec PID is available.

It is to be noted that, in this approach smmon will be started and then, it will be stopped. So, there should be a better way to not even start it (or a way to directly stop the deployment of corresponding jar smmon.jar by removing it from class path). May be CA members can you provide you a better solution.

Regards,

Dhilip

• 4.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 29, 2018 10:12 PM

Hi Leo,

Thanks for providing the details. But on one of the server when using the command ./stop-all and ./start-all it does not start the OneView Monitor service.

I am not sure but I think during installation in one of the step the setup for OneView Monitor was selected and hence the service is getting started.

Hence I am looking for a way to permanently disable this service.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

• 5.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 29, 2018 10:20 PM

You need to do this on the envrionment on which One View Monitor is running.

• Execute stop-all script to stop both PS and One View Montior services.
    • Execute start-ps to start only PS

If you follow above , this will permananently disable OneView montior from starting up. 

You may also re-run policy server installer and completely uninstall OneView Montior by deselecting it, if that is what you want.

• 6.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 30, 2018 12:12 AM

Hi Ujwol,

I followed the steps mentioned by you above but still the service is getting restarted.

I guess the only option is to do a re-installation.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

• 7.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 30, 2018 12:13 AM

Which one did you do ? 

Or reconfiguration of Policy server ?

• 8.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 30, 2018 12:44 AM

First one,

• 9.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 30, 2018 04:01 AM

Hi Ujwol,

I tried the steps mentioned by you, i.e,

But still the OneView Monitor service is getting started.

I did a re-installation as well, and this time was extra cautious with selecting none under features like to configure. But still the service is running.

Not sure what is causing this and if I keep it running will it cause any issues.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

• 10.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 31, 2018 05:41 AM

Hi Pankaj,

Some questions to have more insight:

- How are you checking the OneView Monitor is starting? By accessing it? Seeing the process running?

- Did you run the install wizard and disabled the OneView Monitor checkbox when asked for components to install?

- What is your current Policy Server version?

Best regards,

Albert

• 11.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Feb 01, 2018 04:09 AM

Hi Albert,

PFB the replies to your questions,

1. I am seeing the process running on smconsole and also noticing an additional pid, smservmon.pid, being generated after ./start-all.

2. Yes, I selected 5 which means No other additional component is required for installation with policy server installation. I did a re-install and was extra cautious while selecting this option.

3. The policy server version is 12.52 SP01 CR01. I know its not the latest but we have some dependency due to which we cannot move to the latest version. But I am sure this cannot cause an issue as I do not see such issue with the other server on which policy server is installed.

Please do let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma

• 12.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Jan 29, 2018 10:27 PM

In addition, on the server on which the OnewView Monitor service is enabled I am seeing smservmon.pid getting generated everytime I do ./start-all. But on the other server this pid is not getting generated.

• 13.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 02, 2018 01:28 AM

Hi Pankaj,

Did more of digging around this .. 

From 12.7 ( same should be for 12.52SP1), I see that start-all/start-ps and stop-all/stop-ps script are identical.

So what both of these startup script does is , it invokes :

"/opt/CA/siteminder/bin/smexec" executable

and this is configured to start both policy server service and one view montior service.

This is hardcoded, so there is noway you can choose to stop running one view montior automatically.

You can however disable it manually from Siteminder Policy server management console ..

But this will get enabled again next time you run start-all or start-ps script.

In windows OS however, as this run as an indepedent service, you can disabe it permanently from starting up :

Now coming back to linux, the only workaround I found (though not very appropriate) is by modifying the :

/opt/CA/siteminder/bin/smmon.sh file and commenting the startup code here :

#"$NETE_JRE_ROOT/bin/java" -Xmx64m -Dnete.ps.root="$NETE_PS_ROOT" -classpath "$NETE_PS_ROOT/lib/smconapi.jar":"$NETE_PS_ROOT/lib/smmon.jar" com.netegrity.smmonagent.SmMonAgentRun

Now, if you try to run either start-all or start-ps , the One View monitor service is not started :

[root@shruj01-I1850 bin]# start-ps
    SiteMinder Policy Server is running
    SiteMinder Health Monitor is not running
    [root@shruj01-I1850 bin]#

smexec.log :

Fri Feb 2 01:25:36 2018: Enter: HandleSignals(UNBLOCK_ALL)
    Fri Feb 2 01:25:36 2018: Enter: HandleSignals(BLOCK_ALL)
    Fri Feb 2 01:25:36 2018: Service smservmon died - restart #4, pid: 6937

Fri Feb 2 01:25:36 2018: Enter: HandleSignals(BLOCK_ALL)
    Fri Feb 2 01:25:36 2018: Service smservmon DISABLED after 5 failures
    Fri Feb 2 01:25:36 2018: Deleting pid file ----- /opt/CA/siteminder/config/smservmon.pid because it's DISABLED

It would have been good to have an option to disable this service in graceful manner OOTB like windows.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ujwol

• 14.  Re: Stop OneView Monitor Service

Posted Feb 05, 2018 02:16 AM

Hi Ujwol,

Thank you. Post making the change as suggested by you the service for One View Monitor is not running after executing ./start-all.

Regards,

Pankaj Sharma