DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Modeling ESX Hosts in a Cluster

Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:32 AM

I'm in a bit of a back-and-forth with out virtualization folks on how to model individual ESX host in Spectrum. Now were aren't using virtual host manager or anything and are able to model a single host in the cluster, but not any other.  Turns out all the hosts in the cluster are using the same SNMP EngineID.  Everywhere I read says this should be unique to the host, but when then create a unique ID, I am unable to negotiate SNMP to it.  Is this simply the limitation of not using Virtual Host Manager or is there a way to get these hosts modeled without it?

• 2.  Re: Modeling ESX Hosts in a Cluster
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2018 03:19 AM

If you turn on the SNMP agent for the ESX host then it should be discoverable and modelled in Spectrum.

The engine_id is used when you have SNMPv3 enabled. It must be unique (and Spectrum is a stickler for this). If you are only using SNMPv1/2 then it doesn't matter as it isn't used at all. If you have already discovered the device then delete it and re-discover it after you sort out the engine_id issue.

If you want to "do things properly" then I would suggest getting:

• (Old way) - VCAIM working under a SysEdge agent and linked into VCenter/polled by Spectrum to get your VM setup in VHM
    • (New way) - VMware probe working under UIM and linked into Spectrum

• 3.  Re: Modeling ESX Hosts in a Cluster

Posted Sep 12, 2018 01:35 PM

So once I get them to create the unique IDs, I shouldn't have any issues regarding the hosts being clustered?

• 4.  Re: Modeling ESX Hosts in a Cluster

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2018 01:03 PM

As long as the engine_ids are unique (presuming that you are using SNMPv3 enabled agents on the ESX hosts) then give the discovery a go and see as to what happens.

• 5.  Re: Modeling ESX Hosts in a Cluster

Posted Oct 03, 2018 10:41 AM

Still failing to discover using any snmp version.