CA Client Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Jun 05, 2017 01:26 PM

Attached is the latest WinOffline version -- 2017.06.05

As a reminder, always be sure to test WinOffline before distributing/using widely in your environment.  Ensure you are satisfied with the results and reply here in the community with any questions, concerns or potential bugs for me to correct!

Here's what's changed/improved for this release--

1- WinOffline Patching: Fixed a crash in Software Delivery mode when the units folder unexpectedly does not exist on the target Agent.

2- WinOffline GUI: Export buttons are now functional on all database tools for creating a CSV file.

3- WinOffline GUI: Substantial improvements in performance when working with large data sets.  Also I've added a progress bar and percentage cues so you're not left waiting without feedback.

4- WinOffline GUI: The "Agent Summary" contains two new tabs for displaying Agents that haven't checked in in 90 days and Agents that haven't checked in for over a year.  The intent here is to keep your MDB healthy and reports accurate by removing obsolete Agents/data from ITCM.

5- WinOffline GUI: Added a new "User Summary" panel displaying the list of User Accounts ITCM is tracking, and just as with the Agent Summary, identifying all the User Accounts that haven't checked-in in over 90 days or for over a year.  The intent here is the same, to keep the MDB healthy and reporting accurate by removing obsolete Users from ITCM.

Note: In the above screenshot, this particular panel reveals that the ITCM Administrator is not cleaning up old/obsolete user accounts.  We can see User Accounts that have not checked in since early 2009!

6- WinOffline GUI: Improvements to the "Scalability Summary".  Two new tabs have been added to show you which scalability servers have not collected within the last 24 hours, and which have a signature file that's older than 30 days.  The intent here is for an Administrator to be able to load balance registered agents across his/her scalability servers, as well as identify scalability serves that may be experiencing problems or do not have the latest signature file for software detection.

Note: In the above screenshot, this customer has many scalability servers that are without a signature file or has an outdated signature file.  This means Agents reporting to these scalability servers are not reporting accurate discovered software.

7- WinOffline GUI: Added a new "Installed Software" panel for summarizing software packages and installation counts of software pushed by Software Delivery

The first tab shows installation counts, only one per computer.  So if the same package has been historically pushed 7 times to the same Agent, it's only counted once--

The second tab is is similar, except it considers the full installation history.  If you've pushed the same installation procedure multiple times to the same Agent, it's counted each time--

Note: You can compare the "Software Delivery Test" row in the first and second screenshot.  You can note it's only been pushed to 10 Agents, but overall it's been pushed >22,000 times to those 10 agents.  That's the difference between the two tabs.

8- WinOffline GUI: Added a new "Discovered Software" panel for summarizing discovered software detection counts and breaking them down by their detection method.

9- WinOffline GUI: Added a new "Duplicate Computers" panel for summarizing the computers that are found to be duplicate-- either by hostname, serial number or both.  With one additional tab to show you computers that are missing or reporting a blank serial number.  The intent here is for an Administrator to cleanup this duplicate data from ITCM in order to maintain accurate reporting and good MDB health.

10- WinOffline GUI: Improvements to the existing "Unused Software" portal.  Instead of cramming all the data into a singular view, now the data is displayed across three tabs.  The intent here is to help provide a list of software that is either not staged, not installed or both, so you can cleanup your software library accordingly.

Old View:

New View:

Enjoy,

- Brian Fontana, CA Support

• 2.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 05, 2017 07:47 PM

Good stuff Brian. Thanks

• 3.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Jun 05, 2017 09:45 PM

Thanks Lenny, hopefully it proves more useful than the last revision.  Many more good things to come .

• 4.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Jun 20, 2017 02:39 PM

Way more useful.  Maybe it's time to rename it...to something like...ITCM GUI that Works!!

;-)  Sorry, just got back from snarkville.

Thanks for your effort, nice work Brian.

• 5.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Jun 26, 2017 05:39 PM

Thanks Andrew.  And yes, WinOffline has outgrown its own name.  "Windows Offline Patching" was the original concept-- shortened to "WinOffline" as the Visual Studio project name.  It's my lack of creativity for a new name-- maybe "TweakITCM" would be an improvement.  There's actually a hidden feature that WinOffline is name reflexive-- upon startup it reads the executable name and it replaces all references of "WinOffline" with that name.  So if you prefer, you can rename to PurpleMonkeyDishwasher.exe. and watch it take affect--

-Brian

• 6.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Jun 26, 2017 05:50 PM

I nominate 'BriansMultiPurposeWidget.exe'. I was thinking BriansArmyKnife but Brian is a Marine so I didn't want to offend.

• 7.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Nov 02, 2017 06:24 PM

When deploying WinOffline via a SD package I see this error message on the console of a server I'm deploying to...

WinOffline is being triggered by SD (local system) but it is launching WinOfflineClient as my UserID

• 8.  Re: Latest WinOffline -- 5 June 2017

Posted Nov 02, 2017 06:29 PM

Hey Bill,

This is resolved in the latest WinOffline, which I have yet to post.  Hopefully by tomorrow.

The workaround on the current release is to provide the "-silent" switch as a parameter to WinOffline.exe.  This will suppress the WinOfflineClient.exe process from being used.

Regards,

Brian