Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  Siteminder Web Agent is trying to authorize the user details several times

Posted Aug 01, 2012 11:38 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi,

We've integrated Siteminder Web agent with IBM web sphere 6.1 application server. The application is running fine. However for certain user actions in the web appplication, agent is displaying a message saying "siteminder is trying to authorize the user details"

We set the siteminder session expiry time to 10 hours. We thought agent will not re authenticate/authorize the user details unless the time out cookie expires. are there any properties available in WAM UI for autherization..?

Environment details:
    Unix Machine, Apache Web Server, Web sphere 6.1 application server.

However we are not able to reproduce the same issue in our development machine. In DEV machine we are using Windows XP, Websphere 7, IBM HTTP Server 7. I am attaching the screen print.

Please let me know if you happen to face this kind of scenario

Thanks,
    Prasad ALMI, ACS
    Sun Certified Java Developer

• 2.  RE: Siteminder Web Agent is trying to authorize the user details several ti

Posted Aug 08, 2012 11:03 AM
    Hi All,

Anyone have any ideas here for Prasad?

Thanks!
    Chris

• 3.  RE: Siteminder Web Agent is trying to authorize the user details several ti
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2012 11:37 AM
    HI Prasad,

What you are seeing is the post preservation page. This is normal behavior for siteminder framework agent. When the SMSESSION needs to be updated and the request happens on a HTTP POST process the agent has to capture the post data so that after then SMSESSION is updated it can retrieve the data and complete the POST process without loosing the data or causing a problem.

Now usually this process happens so quickly that it is not seen by most users. Depending on Load on the policy servers and web servers the time it takes to complete may very so some users may see it some times but not all of the time. But the process does happen any time the SMSESSION needs to be updated and the HTTP request is of method POST.

Is this causing some type of problem for you?
    Is the screen not continuing on automatically?

There are a couple of ways this can be disabled. You will need to review in conjunction with your setup to see which is best suited for your needs:

OverlookSessionForMethods

Specifies whether the Web Agent compares the request method of all
    HTTP requests against the methods listed in this parameter. If a match
    occurs, the Web Agent does not create or update an SMSESSION
    cookie. Also, cookie providers (if configured) are not updated for that
    request.

Default: No default

************************************************************************************
    Disable POST Preservation

If you do not need to use POST preservation, you may disable it with the
    following parameter:

PreservePostData

Specifies whether the Web Agent preserves POST data when
    redirecting requests. When the user is challenged for advanced
    authentication, such as forms or certificate authentication, the post
    data is preserved during the authentication phase.

Default: Yes

To disable POST preservation, set the value of the PreservePostData
    parameter to no.

************************************************************************************

LegacyCookieProvider

Controls whether a framework agent sends a POST request to a cookie provider. When framework agents send a POST request to a traditional agent that is acting as a cookie provider, the redirected request becomes a GET instead and fails. When set to no, the framework agent sends the POST request to the cookie provider. When set to yes, the framework agent does not send the POST request to the cookie provider.
    If you are using central agent configuration, you must add this parameter to your Agent Configuration Object. This parameter already exists in local configuration files.

Default: No (POST requests sent)

Note: This parameter applies to framework agents only.

If you can provide more details ont he problem you are facing and the ACO settings for the web agent we might be able to provide more information if this does not answer your questions.

Hope this helps

Gene

• 4.  RE: Siteminder Web Agent is trying to authorize the user details several ti

Posted Aug 10, 2012 11:36 AM
    Thanks for all your help Gene! :grin:

• 5.  RE: Siteminder Web Agent is trying to authorize the user details several ti

Posted Aug 08, 2013 04:09 PM
    Hi ,
    I understand from the community forum that intermittent page is a normal behavior.However,In my scenario,I am downloading a document where I am getting this intermittent page to get the updated cookie from cookie provider and after the document is getting downloaded,the page is not redirecting to the application.I clicked on CONTINUE button several times,all times the browser is downloading the document instead of continuing to the application?Please advise how to rectify the issue.Thanks in advance

• 6.  Re: Siteminder Web Agent is trying to authorize the user details several times

Posted Apr 24, 2018 12:15 PM

Hello all,

I am looking for solution for concern posted by Gopz ( pasted below). I am currently having exactly the same issue and don't have access to Siteminder code. How can this be resolved in the JSF code.

" I understand from the community forum that intermittent page is a normal behavior.However,In my scenario,I am downloading a document where I am getting this intermittent page to get the updated cookie from cookie provider and after the document is getting downloaded,the page is not redirecting to the application.I clicked on CONTINUE button several times,all times the browser is downloading the document instead of continuing to the application?Please advise how to rectify the issue.Thanks in advance"