Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 11, 2016 07:24 AM

i want to deploy certain application on a mobile device using nolio agent. i did not see any mobile device agent related documentation. is there any such functionality available or in pipeline?

Regards,

Amit Joshi

• 2.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 11, 2016 11:15 AM

Not at this time, Amit…….i wish there was!

Chip Rabinowitz

Senior Enterprise DevOps Architect

A&I Solutions

702-443-7520

• 3.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 12, 2016 02:56 AM

just wondering on what kind of mobile device you want to deploy?

isn't it more, that you have to deploy to (app) stores instead of deploying directly something on the device?

we for example have a deployment to xenmobile

• 4.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 16, 2016 07:19 PM

Good point, Mike......mobile apps are typically not updated directly, but through the app store or some similar facility.......

• 5.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 23, 2016 03:00 AM

the use case here is, the mobile phone would download the application and install it on its own. We should be able to upload the application on appstore and trigger a deployment on mobile device. It could be i-os or android device.

Regards,

Amit Joshi

• 6.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 23, 2016 04:13 AM

I don't think that this is a topic for CA RA. in general, this isn't a good thing to do. normally what you do is deploy an app to the appstore and then the user need to push it manually to the device for the first time, after that the appstore should handle the updates, if you deploy a new version. but you can't just automatically install an app on a device, if this would be possible, you could put a lot of malware on those devices and you even would need a jailbreaked device, so that it is unlocked...

• 7.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 26, 2016 03:41 AM

To explain the use case further, I am trying to get a zero-touch end-to-end solution for Developer ie for non-prod environments wherein

Developer would checkin the code and application is build

that application is uploaded to appstore

the application is downloaded/installed on pre-defined (unlocked in this case) mobile devices which actually is being used as Test Devices

A test suit is run on those mobile devices as a part of Post Deployment Steps

A notification is sent to the developer whether the application installed/tested successfully on target devices

Regards,

Amit Joshi

• 8.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device

Posted May 30, 2016 01:18 AM

hi,

sorry, I still don't see this as a case for CA RA because this should be a setting in your appstore. you did say it yourself that you upload it into the appstore and after that, the appstore is responsible for delivering it to the devices.

did you try setting up your appstore in a way, that it automatically installes on the devices? also if you only deploy updates, the appstore should already be able to push it automatically to the devices per default

best regards

michael

• 9.  Re: nolio agent on mobile device
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 06, 2016 03:28 PM

Hi amitwjoshi,

It looks like you may be requesting a new feature be added to the product, in which case, i would suggest you create an idea on the enhancement you're looking for.

When you create the idea, please leave a comment here with a link, so other users who are looking for similar functionality can vote for the idea, which would help raise it up on product management's priority list.

Thanks,

Melanie