Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Licenses - FAQ

Legacy User

Legacy UserNov 30, 2017 08:55 AM

• 1.  Licenses - FAQ

Posted Jul 22, 2016 10:26 AM

Q : Who should I ask to provide a New, Temporary or Trial license?

A : The preferred way is to contact your account manager and ask him to provide it. 

Q : Where do I see my available licenses ?

A:  In the Java User Interface : go to System Overview > License.

kf696zbsgybr.jpghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/ko/kf696zbsgybr.jpg" width="1129">

In the Automic Web Interface : go to Administration > License.

Q : What do the platform abbreviations mean?

A : The complete list is available here. For instance 'EX' stands for 'executor' as this is how agents used to be called before version 8.

Q : What does 'Class' stand for ?

A: 

• Class S : Server. It can only connect to local host.
    • Class W : Windows server
    • Class 1: single core computer
    • Class 2: dual core
    • Class 3: 3 cores
    • Class 8: unlimited cores
    • Class 9 : Agent will not check the cores before starting. Used for POCs, internally, or very big customers. It’s the easiest one to handle.
    • Class V : checks the number of active agents + number of cores. Most commonly used.
    • DC : license for User Interface. 1 license per monitored environment.
    • DB : Connection to Automic Database.

Q: Where do I set the agent's license class?

A: In the [GLOBAL] section of the agent's ini file.

tbw78eg8c427.jpg

Q: Where do I set an agent's category ?

A: Connect to Client 0, then edit the agent from System Overview > Agent > Attributes tab.

df27ox3nexdc.jpg

Q: What do the numbers displayed in the Used(Host) column stand for ?

A: Answer provided by Michael_Pirson in this discussion

You have ***/*** (***/***). The first set of numbers is the total number of Agents/CPU's used against the license. The number in the parenthesis is the total number of agent and cpu for that license category for that environment.

An example of these two being different is when you have multiple Agents on one server. For example if I had two Windows agents running on HOST1, I would see 00001/00002 (000002/000004). It will only count as one license entry against the license because they are both running on the same IP address.

Thanks Michael!

Q: What is the technical impact of licenses?

A: When an Agent starts up, it:

• Tries to connect to the Automation Engine system (via CP)
    • Retrieves information from the machine it’s running on = hardware, software, software version
    • Checks license class from the ini file settings

What the server does:

• Checks entries in the UC_HTYP table to verify if the software is allowed to run on this hardware.
    • Checks license class and category.
    • An error message will appear if there is no more available license for as specific category.

Q: How can I know if I have licenses left for a given platform / class / category  ?

A : This can be done quite easily with csv exports.

1 - Export the license list to a csv file : fromLicenseview, right click in the right part of the window and choose 'Export to file'.

ncy3dzx8kst4.jpg

2 - Repeat the same process in theAgentsview.

vrztnmpwgie6.jpg

3 - Open both files in Excel, select all cells and add a Filter.

pd9pymk87y6h.jpg

4 - With those filters, it becomes really easy to determine which licenses are used. Let's say I want to know when my Windows agent's class V licenses will expire. After applying the below filers to 'platform' and 'class' columns:

awpf7exa7ne8.jpg   wqqraqm8yhfu.jpg

I will get this line as a result:

9u5oabjvlg22.jpg

The same principle can be applied to hostlist.csv, for instance to retrieve Unix agents that are using a class V license:

2ohgvrxv9c6c.jpg

Hope you like this post . Please feel free to react and don't hesitate to post your license-related questions.

Antoine

• 2.  Licenses - FAQ

Posted Sep 05, 2016 05:16 AM
    If you have no access  to your GUI, because your WP gets an error because of an expired license. You can use the following select, it will represent the same as the system overview(licence) in the userinterface.

select * from UC_LIC

• 3.  Licenses - FAQ

Posted Nov 03, 2017 12:15 PM
    Antoine_Sauteron -

I have a doubt here - In the below license image count of UNIX agents shows 7 but the used section shows 00002/00002. This appears to be an issue. Whereas for WIN agents it is appearing correctly 00002/00008.

4bsocg2kohjo.jpghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/y0/4bsocg2kohjo.jpg" width="787">

• 4.  Licenses - FAQ

Posted Nov 05, 2017 08:13 PM
    ShashankSingh606566
    "UNIX agents shows 7 but the used section shows 00002/00002. "
    7 : is allowed the number of agents that you can run at the same time.
    00002/00002 : the first 00002 mean you are running 2 Linux agent, the second 00002 mean that you are using 2 processors in total ( you are allowed to use 128 CPU/processors) 

• 5.  Licenses - FAQ

Posted Nov 06, 2017 06:47 AM
    What algorithm and parameters are used to calculate the license checksum? :wink:

• 6.  Licenses - FAQ

Posted Nov 30, 2017 08:55 AM
    Sorry Michael, but that's internal info :)

• 7.  Re: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Oct 04, 2018 05:54 AM

Hi,

I updated this topic with information about the different license classes, and the meaning of figures in the 'Used(Host)' column.

Antoine

• 8.  RE: Re: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Aug 28, 2019 10:51 AM
    Hi,

Do you know when does UC4 checks licenses periodically in the system setting? Incorrect license can definitely can bring down the agents right? 

Thanks In Advance.

• 9.  RE: Re: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Aug 28, 2019 11:02 AM
    ​Hi.

There is no periodic license check in the product.

Automic has publicly announced that they are doing away with license checks in the code, and the requirement for binary license files for the engine and agents, and they claim components will not stop working in absence of digital license information.

Despite this, you certainly do need a license to operate their software legally, and your contract might stipulate conditions that help Automic enforce this. For instance, there is a license reporting tool bundled as part of the engine which you may need to run periodically (again, depending on the exact clauses in your contract) and/or they may reserve the right to audit your installation.

Of course, this probably only applies to 12.2 onwards. If you are on older versions, you might still need a license file, and components may not start when lacking a valid binary representation of an actual entitlement in the system. I do not know whether old versions will periodically check validity of licenses once the component is running.

The removal of any licensing checks in 12.2 and onward is also accompanied by the removal of the "license overview" from current versions of the product, much to may dismay since this complicates counting one's own license usage.

Hth,

• 10.  RE: Re: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Aug 28, 2019 08:17 PM
    Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, we are using v11, which is already EOL. 

Regards,
    Mylah

• 11.  RE: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Aug 29, 2019 08:16 AM
    Does anyone know if there are any special allowances for failover sites? 

Like, say our data center goes down and we need to switch over to a secondary location -- is there anyway to get a license pre-OK'd by broadcom so you could have everything switch over automatically?

• 12.  RE: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Aug 29, 2019 08:56 AM
    ​You really should ask your account manager about this.

There isn't "one license plan" with Automic, it might be possible to negotiate an individual agreement for your specific scenario. Such things are not unheard of :)

Br,
    Carsten

• 13.  RE: Licenses - FAQ

Posted Jan 05, 2020 11:02 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi All,
    This is a great thread to understand the license file.I have one question though.

1: my license count is 20 as per the class segregation class V =19 and class 9= 1 or it is 19 only.
    2:in the image below, the file states count for UNX and WIN both are 19
    So does it mean we can have 19 Unix and 19 windows agents
    Or total 19 irrespective of platforms?

TIA
    Shani