DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Dynamic global collection

Posted Jul 20, 2018 09:03 AM

Hi All,

Is there anyway to create a dynamic global collection based on a event message?

For example:

I want to check if the event message has the string "sqlserver" and input the device with this event message into to the global.

Can you help me please?

Best regards

• 2.  Re: Dynamic global collection

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2018 09:31 AM

One possible method would be to use an event procedure ( Examples of Procedures in Event Disposition Files - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  ) to write/update an attribute on the device model when you see the "sqlserver" string in the event message.  Then you have your global collection include device models that have that attribute set to the value you write with the procedure.

• 3.  Re: Dynamic global collection

Posted Jul 20, 2018 10:10 AM

Awesome Robert.

So basically I have to do:

0x06330070 E 70 P WriteAttribute( { C CURRENT_MODEL }, { H 0x12bfc }, GetEventVariable( { S 105 } ) )

Do you know if the nimsoft events accept this procedure?

• 4.  Re: Dynamic global collection
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 20, 2018 10:38 AM

I think it's a bit more than that since 0x06330070 is what is triggered for UIM critical alarms but what you have would set the USER_AssetID in Spectrum to the name of the source probe in UIM so you're on the right path.  Just putting in the event procedure you have would have the attribute overwritten if you have another alarm coming from cdm, for example, on the same server.  You'll need some more logic before you get to this part but the procedure you have above is eventually what you would call.

• 5.  Re: Dynamic global collection

Posted Jul 20, 2018 12:14 PM

Awesome!!! 

I'll  try here man, thank you for your help.

• 6.  Re: Dynamic global collection

Posted Jul 20, 2018 09:50 AM

Why would you wan to do that? This eludes the dynamic GC altogether. What you're trying to do is action to a model based on the event generated. That's where Event Procedure should help. Read here about that.

Each model has an attribute called CollectionsModelNameString (0x12adb) that contains all the GC that the model is part of. You can update this attribute based on the Event you receive, using an event procedure. 

Better of, create a dynamic Global Collections based on the USER_*** (0x12xx) attributes. Update the values of those attributes using Event Procedures, based on the information you receive in the events. That should result in want you're searching. 

Dynamic GCs are created based only on searches of attributes of models. 

• 7.  Re: Dynamic global collection

Posted Jul 20, 2018 10:11 AM

Awesome CatalinF

So basically I have to do:

0x06330070 E 70 P WriteAttribute( { C CURRENT_MODEL }, { H 0x12bfc }, GetEventVariable( { S 105 } ) )

Do you know if the nimsoft events accept this procedure?