Clarity

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Clarity Install - Help!!

• 1.  Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 10:31 AM
    We have installed the newest version of Clarity on a test server so that we can go through it and do our analysis for the upgrade.We have gotten as far as the NSA, but nothing seems to be working.   We run the Health Check - nothing.   Try and install the database - nothing.   No errors.   Just... nothing.And to be kind, the manual is...   not helpful.The database connection is tested and working.What are we doing wrong?   Any ideas?Thanks,
    Andrea

• 2.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 11:06 AM
    Please define installed in this case.What does the install.log and admin.log say about install?If you can accss db wha does cmn_install_history say?  Martti K.

• 3.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 11:46 AM
    Might be a database connectivity issue. Can you give more details as to what shows up when you run health check?  Bill

• 4.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:20 PM
    Health Check just pops up a screen for a second, then nothing.No changes, no details.   Da nada.

• 5.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:22 PM
    What am I looking for in the install log?It is a monster.

• 6.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:29 PM
    At this point the install log will probably show that the Clarity files were expanded and copied into the correct directories. When you configure the database connection in the NSA does it show that it has succesfully logged in? We really need a lot more detail to help diagnose your problem.  Bill  

• 7.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:38 PM
    Go to the end of the log.Does it finish with error(s) or complete.If that finishes with errors then there is a problem.If you can start NSA to start health check then it propably got to some point.Check the install history and that the services are started,  Martti K.

• 8.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:39 PM
    This is the problem.Someone on our Intel team did the initial installation and then couldn't figure out how to proceed, washed his hands of it and dumped it on me.I do not have a clue what he did because he took no notes and is really only interested in complaining.   So he is no help.I have looked through the manual and it jumps around so much, I don't even know where to begin.I assumed since the NSA is available that the Clarity files would have had to be expanded and installed.   Is that not correct?

• 9.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:50 PM
    Hi Andrea,  I spoke with someone in Support on this.   It maybe best to log an issue with Support and attach the install log so they can take a quick look.   You should also attach the logs here as well.\  Regards,Chris

• 10.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 12:55 PM
    Thanks.   I will try them as well.I looked through the log file and I don't think that he expanded and installed all the Clarity files.I looked at the Services and while the database and reports are visible, I can't seem to add the Clarity application itself.

• 11.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 08:57 PM
    Hi,           Let me know, the application and database is installed same machine? if same machine, please connect the database from application server like username@tnsname/password. if database connected, the application should be talk with database.

• 12.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 26, 2009 09:48 PM
    Andrea,  Instead of  spending lot of time in  analyzing what went wrong(Hope you have spend worth a while) try to un-install and re-install again.That  have provided  solution of many installation problems.(Since  the issue  is on early stage.N/A for Pdn environments unless we are very confident.)    regards,sundar

• 13.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 04:14 AM
    I agree with Sundar. If it is a new install delete the old install and start fresh, making notes of any errors. If that does not work then you may need someone with experience doing the install. Let us know what happens.  If you decide you need help I can connect you with technical people that can do the work.  Bill  

• 14.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 04:14 AM
    Another stupid question...Are there instructions anywhere on uninstalling?Clarity isn't listed in the 'Add / Remove Programs' list.

• 15.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 07:01 AM
    Ok.   Reinstalled.However, in the NSA I am getting a status of 'Unavailable' for the database in the Overview Properties.Checked the ODBC connection and it is good.Any ideas?    

• 16.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 08:01 AM
    Hi,     Found a KB article with related one(?).   So fast -- Seems Techno Professional Installer.........    Title:   CA Clarity v12 Upgrade FAQ's
    Document ID:       TEC482525  Question:  I ran into errors during the installation. How can I troubleshoot?  Answer:  For problems encountered during the installation of the Clarity software (install.bat), you can review the log file, install.log,
    located in the directory that you executed the installation from.  For problems encountered during NSA installations (Pre-upgrade, Database, Reports, XDM), you can review the log file located at:  NIKU_HOME\logs\admin.log     (As usual -->can you  run&check the Health Report)  Regards,sundar  

• 17.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 08:16 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi,           It should be problem, application talk with database. If application and database is running in same box, please connect the database from sqlplus likeusername@tnsname/password. if database is connected with out any problem, some problem in database configuration.  Please configured all properies in NSA before installing the database schema, xdm and reports.  Please look at the attached file, you get the clear idea, how to resolve this issue.

Attachment(s)

doc
    screen shots.doc   460 KB 1 version

• 18.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 08:41 AM
    Hi,    Hope you have followed all oracle Pre-Requisties-->Mentioned in Page 133 of V12 Installation Guide  For proper extended character handling on any system running an Oracle client or server, the NLS language setting in the OS must be "UTF-8".
    On Unix, edit the Unix user profile to add the NLS_LANG variable:
    NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 EXPORT NLS_LANG
    On Windows, change the registry settings as follows:
    a. Start the registry editor:
    â–  From the Start menu select Run.
    â–  Enter "regedit" and press Enter.
    b. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0.
    c. Change the value for key NLS_LANG to:
    AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8Character Set UTF8
    National Character Set UTF8
    nls_date_format YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS
    nls_sort BINARY
    nls_comp BINARY
    query_rewrite_enabled true  i remember during  the DB  installation we need to provide the  port correctly  otherwise will be in trouble.Pls check it.  In the NSA-->Database Server -->Internal Connection-->Port.  regards,  sundar

• 19.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 09:04 AM
    I've told that there is no unistanll, instead you restore a backup, ie nikuadmin restore.If you don't have a backup then a new install is the option.Either another upgrade or fresh to a new directory. You can rename the old differently and then you paths, Niku_home and so on will be the same.I've been also told that Clarity does not write anything in the registry so a copy of the Clarity folder is a quick but slower way to backup.  I missed the point where it said Oracle, but if your system was workingt before, you do not change the database prequisites in the upgrade or even if you use old database with a fresh install.The ODBC   working means that the db is there and working. Apparently the info in NSA is not correct for the database (=unavailable with that info)If you look at   properties.xlm in the .setup folder of you Clarity you can see the same information displayed slightly differently which migth help you locate the problem if you cannot do it in NSA.  Yes you should be able to login to the database with the information from NSA/properties either the Oracle way or if it MS SQL in Management Studio.  The install history page in NSA gives you the status what is the latest version installed. There you can see if the install of the various components was successful.  Follow Senthils instructions and illustration.  Martti K.   Message Edited by another_martink on 08-27-2009 01:05 PM [left]

• 20.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 09:35 AM
    Actually we have it installed with SQL Server.Got the availability working (wrong port defined.)Still having no luck running the database install.   (SQL server is installed locally...)The pop-up opens for a second, closes and nothing on the Install and Upgrade page changes.    

• 21.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 10:29 AM
    Does the install and upgrade say db is not installed or needs upgrade?Need upgrade suggest that the connection is OK.Didn't you have antoher instance? If you do look at the database page there and compare the settings.If the db be is up and you can log in to Management studio that part is OK.  Martti K.

• 22.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 10:35 AM
    Andrea,  Can youtry the following:  Go to the folder where clarity is installed in command promptcd D:\niku\clarity  run the following command  nikuadmin install db  Let me know if this throws any error on the screen. If possible also please attach the nsa-niku.log  Thanks,Vasanth

• 23.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Oct 05, 2009 01:36 AM
      |   view attached
    So does anybody have idea what was causing the problem? Because I have the similar problem. This is the first time I am trying to install Clarity on MS SQL 2005. After successful install, NSA configuring and Health Check, when I am trying to run install DB I get[left]
    [left] Possible Dependency Error - view: CLB_DMS_AREA_PERMS_V.xml[left] 10/5/09 10:36 AM (admin) [CA Clarity][SQLServer JDBC Driver][SQLServer]Invalid object name 'CMN_SEC_ASSGND_OBJ_PERM_R_V0'.[left] 10/5/09 10:36 AM (admin) SQL Text:[left] 10/5/09 10:36 AM (admin) CREATE[left] 10/5/09 10:36 AM (admin) VIEW CLB_DMS_AREA_PERMS_V.......[left]
    [left] in my admin.log[left]
    [left]
    [left] When trying nikuadmin install db from command line. I get:[left]
    [left] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: DBDriver failed with dependency[left] errors (58)[left]          at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.installSchemaDriver(DriverApp.java:701)[left]          at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.run(Utilities.java:1300)[left]          at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.main(Utilities.java:632)[left] Error occurred: C:\niku\clarity\.setup\scripts\db.xml:216: The following error o[left] ccurred while executing this line:[left] C:\niku\clarity\.setup\scripts\db.xml:105: Java returned: 1[left] Check admin.log or use -verbose for more information.[left]
    [left] I did try to delete clarity install, delete db, login and db user, fresh unpack install.jar, rerun installation and rerun install db. I am getting the same error. I have created SQL database following senthil's screenshots...[left]  [left] admin.log is attached[left] Message Edited by Mart on 10-05-2009 05:39 AM [left] Message Edited by Mart on 10-05-2009 05:40 AM [left]

Attachment(s)

txt
    adminlog.txt   455 KB 1 version

• 24.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Oct 05, 2009 03:07 AM
    What "edition" of MSSQL are you using? There are some features  required  by Clarity which Microsoft placed  exclusively  into Enterprise  Edition (notably indexed views).  You might (and I repeat might) get this type of error on views if it isn't enterprise edition (see our product architecture stack for version dependencies).

• 25.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Oct 05, 2009 03:19 AM
    I know that only Enterprise edition is supported. Our customer is using Enterprise edition, but I have access only to Developer edition, which should have the same features as Enterprise (they differ only in licence).  

• 26.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Oct 05, 2009 03:43 AM
    That is true. If it is not enterprise version Clarity could have been installed in earlier versions, but the performance were much lower because the views not being indexed. Many of the errors in the log relate to views or their indices.  What Andread writes aboveHooray!!Reinstalled 107 times and recreated the database and it FINALLY worked!Still had to install through the command prompt (as opposed to the NSA), but it ran!Now of course, I can't get the *&%$ing reports to load.I will create a new thread for that one...   lol  So I take your attempts are not yet that far.  and while doing it again please follow what Sangeet writes in his blog  http://letstalkclarity.blogspot.com/2008/07/6-sql-server-2005-configuration-for.html  and supplement that with    For Microsoft SQL Server 2005 with the SQL Server Agent enabled, you must
    add the CA Clarity PPM administrator account to the SQLAgentUserRole role to
    run datamart extraction jobs. See Microsoft SQL Enterprise Manager
    documentation for details on adding user accounts to the SQLAgentUserRole
    role.    Martti K.      

• 27.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Oct 05, 2009 04:40 AM
    Thank you Martti, for posting link to letstalkclarity blog![left] As long as I am coming from the Oracle world, I was not aware of the fact, that I have to create schema object in the niku db in MS SQL. That solved my problem.[left]

• 28.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 10:48 AM
    This is our first instance of 12.We are planning a straight install as opposed to an upgrade.It says 'Not Installed'.Running the 'nikuadmin install db' from the command prompt and it seems to be thinking about doing something...   lol

• 29.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 11:00 AM
    AHA!   Errors!!  Ran the 'nikuadmin install db' command.Got this error...  'Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: DBDriver failed with dependency errors (58)at com.niku.dbtools.DriverApp.installSchemaDriver(DriverApp.java:701)at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.run(Utilities.java:1300)at com.niku.dbtools.Utilities.main(Utilities.java:632)Error occurred: D:\CA_Clarity_PPM\.setup\scripts\db.xml:216: The following error occurred while executing this line:D:\CA_Clarity_PPM\setup\scripts\db.xml:105: Java returned: 1    

• 30.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 11:46 AM
    I would think that the install script failed at that point.That should be in the install.log and admin.logWas the db definitely up when the install was run and was the jdk diretory and other params correctly given (again they should be at the beginning of the admin log.  Martti K.

• 31.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 27, 2009 12:25 PM
    Andrea,  Can you confirm if the driver.xml file is present in the following path relative to your installation?  D:\niku\clarity\database\schema  Thanks,Vasanth

• 32.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 28, 2009 05:32 AM
    Checked the logs.   Nothing in there at all.   Last entry was when I did the actual install.Checked for the driver.xml.   It is there.I cleaned everything out (Clarity-wise) and I am rerunning the install.   Want to look at fresh logs and see if there is anything wonky...Thanks for all the help!!

• 33.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 28, 2009 07:30 AM
    Fresh you say. If you mean really fresh that means fresh unjar of the jar file, because the install script writes to the install directory.  Martti K.

• 34.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 28, 2009 06:46 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi,             You are able to connect SQL server database throu Datasource. with out enabled TCP/IP Protocol.  But application couldn't communicate with database with out enabled TCP/IP Protocol or correct port mentioned.  If TCP/IP protocol doesn't enabled in SQL Server, the application couldn't communicate  with database. I think some problem in TCP/IP Protocol or wrong port defined in sql server where you had installed in local machine. If i wrong, please correct me.    SQL Server:             1) If application and database is installed in same machine, Only enough to enable the  TCP/IP Protocol from SQL Server Configuration Manager.           2)  If application and database is insatalled in different machine, you should enabled local and remote connections from SQL Server Surface area Configuration.  Oracle:             1) if application and database is installed in same machine,  you must configured oracle listener and TNS Entry Name. Application  should be talk with database thro TNS name. No need to install Oracle client to communicate application with database.           2)  If application and database is installed in different machine, You must configured oracle listener where database  installed in the server. Oracle client Should be installed the Clarity Application server and also need to configure Oracle TNS Entry in application server.    I have attached screen shots, You can get the idea, how to resolve this issue. This screen shots may be useful to you.  ThanksSenthi. Message Edited by senthil on 08-29-2009 09:32 AM [left]

Attachment(s)

zip
    Clarity VS MSSQL 2005.zip   4.86 MB 1 version

• 35.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 31, 2009 07:02 AM
    Thanks Senthil...I went through all the steps.   Shows as available, but the install is still not working.  Just noticed something though...When I click the Install button, the pop-up shows the Server as 'N/A'.  I am working with CA Support as well and will be sure to post any information I get from them as well...A.

• 36.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 31, 2009 07:26 AM
    Hi,       Let me know, the application and database where installed in same machine. Did you get any admin log when click to install the database schema. If possible can you,send us the screen shots which you have configured in NSA Setting.

• 37.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 31, 2009 07:32 AM
    Yup.   Same machine.Nothing was added to any of the logs when I ran the db install.What screenshots would you like to see?  

• 38.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 31, 2009 06:43 PM
    Hi,     Need screen shots for NSA Properties page which you have configured in NSA and also need admin.log.    ThanksSenthi.

• 39.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Sep 02, 2009 11:49 AM
    Hooray!!Reinstalled 107 times and recreated the database and it FINALLY worked!Still had to install through the command prompt (as opposed to the NSA), but it ran!Now of course, I can't get the *&%$ing reports to load.I will create a new thread for that one...   lol

• 40.  Re: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Sep 02, 2009 10:51 PM
    Way to go Andrea, you've got to do what you've got to do.  Martti K.

• 41.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Mar 09, 2011 07:11 AM
    Hi,

I know this post is pretty old but we came across similar issue when doing a fresh install of v12.1 (i.e.: unable to install the db in NSA + errors when trying to install the db via the command lines + nothing happening when checking the health status page in the NSA).

It appears that this comes from 2 different issues:
    1/ Do not use the default folder when installing the Java SDK. Instead use a direct path such as "C:\JDK1.5.0_16". This should fix the issue you had with being unable to initiate installation and health report in the NSA
    2/ Double check the db you created and make sure the user and schema are right (refer to the guideline uploaded by Senthi on this case)

Hope that will help anyone facing the same problem

Brice

• 42.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Mar 09, 2011 05:21 PM
    I had previously upgraded to v12.1 without problems.
    Now I tried clean install and run into the same problem =db unavailable
    My JDK is at c:\Apps\JDK\jdk_1.6.0_20
    db is accessible through SQL Management Studio
    The install does not ask which database and defaults to Oracle with status Available though Oracle is not installed.
    When I change it ti MS SQL and enter the correct values it immediately becomes unavailable.
    TCP/IP is enabled

I wonder if this is related to
    Issues Resolved in 12.1.0_upgrade_patch:

CLRT-58068: Upgrade to 12.1 hangs on upgradeProjBurdeningAssocs during Post Upgrade Step
    CLRT-57970: 12.1 Upgrade fails: Error executing command: db install
    CLRT-57804: Upgrade from 8.1.0.03 to 12.1 is missing DB columns and tables needed for Business Objects
    CLRT-58096: 12.1.0 upgrade failed upgrading from Clarity 12.0.6

Looks as if fresh install of 12.0.5 and upgrade to 12.1 has not a bug in the above list.

Martti K.

• 43.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Mar 10, 2011 06:11 PM
    Would you believe is was only a difference in port number. Nothing to it after that. Only 5 reinstalls.
    Don't I feel less Yoda.
    Now i just need to get the *&%$ing reports to work.

Martti K.

• 44.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 08, 2011 06:15 AM
    [size=6]Hi there

First time caller.

Hope it's OK to add to this somewhat stale thread. Be assured is very fresh to me!

Am a complete newb to Clarity and have been asked to do a proof of concept install of 12.1 to test our hardware.

Am using ESXi running two W2003 Servers, one as Clarity App server, other as SQL Server 2005 Enterprise.

Have installed all dependency software and configured SQL Server as per advice on this (and other) threads. When I launched my browser and the Clarity PPM page came up I wondered if it had all been too easy.

I then realised that a further so-called install was required for the db. Before doing so I ran and resolved the Health Check errors.

I then ran the db install which is where I've come unstuck. It appears that am hitting the same problem that Mart experienced (in post : 05/10/09 06:40 as a reply to AndreaMc) - apologies no log available here at home as my build is running on a standalone network elsewhere.

Same complaint though about 'Possible Dependency Error - view: ????????????.xml'

Have omitted the name here as don't have a note of it and can't be sure is the exact same file. Question is, am I close enough to say it is the same problem or could it be something else? I can provide the filename from work later if it makes a difference.

Also, whilst it seems that Mart's problem was resolved, I'm not quite sure how. I noticed the reference to MS SQL Server Agent but from reading around this appears to be a red herring and only to do with performance. Have I got this wrong?

Is there any more doco on this aspect of the install? The info stream appears to dry up a bit once you get past install.bat!

Any help or pointers most welcome.

Cheers
    flanners
    [size]

• 45.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 08, 2011 07:19 AM
    Sangeets blog is one place where the MS SQL creation is summarized
    http://letstalkclarity.blogspot.com/2008/07/6-sql-server-2005-configuration-for.html
    That does not cover the SQL server agent, but that is mainly for the datamart extraction job and can be done later.
    Instructions for that are in
    TEC439226 Title: Clarity: The Datamart Extraction job will not work when the SQL Server Agent is enabled in Microsoft SQL Server 2005.
    https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC439226

Did you use the latest install media DVD03083830E.iso for Clarity 12.1 0001
    That seems to run smoother than the end 2010 version.

Martti K.

• 46.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 08, 2011 08:57 AM
    [size=4]
    Hi Martti
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Indeed Sangeet's blog is one of those I looked at. Also Senthi's "Clarity VS MSSQL 2005" doc and also https://communities.ca.com/web/Georgy/blog/-/blogs/install-clarity12-1-on-windows-steps-alone?_33_redirect=%2Fweb%2FGeorgy%2Fblog.

I don't have the CD to hand as it was on a share from another site. Am told the details printed on the media are as follows: "v12.1/0000, reference CDR08122952E". This installs as v12.1.0.5840. Not sure I've the ability to download anything different to this.

By the way, the filename in the error I mentioned in my initial post was CLB_DMS_AREA_PERMS_V.XML.

It's not going to be something stupid like making sure ie8 is installed is it?!

Thanks
    flanners
    [size]

• 47.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 08, 2011 10:33 AM
    You get about one third of the way to the point where the document management db views are created

4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CAL_ACTION_ITEMS_ASSIGNED_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CAL_ACTION_ITEMS_OWNED_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CAL_ACTION_ITEMS_QLIST_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CAL_ALL_ACTION_ITEMS_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_AREA_PERMS_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_FILES_AREA_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_FILES_INST_R_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_FILES_INST_R_V0.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_FILES_INST_V.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_FILES_INST_V0.xml
    4/04/11 9:36 ap. (ExecTask) Process - view: CLB_DMS_FILES_NOPERMS_V.xml

so I think is it not a question of IE or something like that.

The media I am referring to does not fit on a CD any more and it installs version 12.1.0.5849
    You have to have a maintenance agreement and site ID to online support, the you can register your ID to that site ID and get software download access according to you maintenance agreement. Your CA account manager is the person who can initiate that.

So the Andrea's solution might be yours as well
    (Reinstalled 107 times and recreated the database and it FINALLY worked!)
    Make sure that you have enough disc space especially on the drive where the temporary files are created and that the network connection between the app and db VM's does not break off during the install.

My installs are also VM's, usually VMWare player and the app and db are on the same VM, but usually on different discs.

Martti K.

• 48.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 15, 2011 11:11 AM
    Hi Martti

Delayed thanks for your last post. Looks like only two reinstalls for me!!!

I eventually managed to get hold of the 5849 build via the route you mentioned. Have just reinstalled Clarity and installed db without any problems this time. Also have installed XDM although not sure what this is for...must confess that although have been tasked with doing this Clarity POC I've no experience with the application itself. Not sure how I'd go about verifying the install. A question for colleagues or up-line I suppose.

One other little query I have is the display of duplicate entries for my server in the NSA screens. I have an entry for 'ClaritySvr' and one for localhost. I'd have thought this should resolve to a single entry as they are the same machine (albeit with different IP addresses). Any ideas? or more to the point, does this matter/can I ignore?

Many thanks for your help Martti.

Cheers
    Pete

• 49.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 15, 2011 11:45 AM
    I was told the duplicate entries in the NSA is a bug. I noticed it right after an installation was complete. Now it comes and goes. Sometimes when I log into the NSA it is there other times it is not. I have noticed lately that more often times it is not. I just ignore it and use the "local" listing. Not sure if that is good or bad.

• 50.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Apr 15, 2011 01:25 PM
    You might wanna have a look at
    TEC439309
    TEC484880
    TEC525553
    and search support site knowledge for more if you need

First had this problem in 6.1.4 where the install went all wrong, because it tried to install to the IP of the backup NIc
    Then in 7.5.3. there was just one card, but still the second instance would not go away. About two years later I saw the KB article about the bug.

If you just have one network card and they say it is a bug, I see no reason to doubt that.

Does it cause any problem? To me it did not (after we got the 6.1.4 installed)

Then again now that you've got a handle on build 5489 install you could also wait for a couple of more weeks for v12.1 SP 1 to come out and try to install that. :smug:

Martti K.

• 51.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 11, 2011 04:41 AM
    Hi,

I've just encountered the same original issue - install of r12.1 db faiing due to "dependency errors".

(I actually have a separate thread for it "r12 install issue - can't start db" that I opened before I
    discovered this thread)

I'm not fully clear on what exactly resolved the last few posters instances of this issue.
    Was it just correctly setting up the DB?

I've followed the instructions but i'm still failing about an hour into the install with the error.

Thanks,
    Andy

• 52.  RE: Clarity Install - Help!!

Posted Aug 11, 2011 08:17 AM
    As I posted above I did a clean install with a previously created MS SQL database.

Use the supported versions of db, jdk and Tomcat.
    If it is MS SQL see Sangeet's blog
    http://letstalkclarity.blogspot.com/2008/07/6-sql-server-2005-configuration-for.html

and TEC546104 How to Create Clarity Database for Microsoft SQL Server?
    https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC546104

Start db before you start Clarity install.

Martti K.