DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  How to create a watch for NT Services?

Posted Oct 30, 2018 10:56 AM

I have an AD forest and want to watch the services needed for AD to perform correctly. I already found the attribute (ntServiceState). This will show the current state the service is running. For a select few services, I want to create a watch if the state changes. 

Here's two of the services.

Active Directory Domain Services
    Active Directory Web Services

When going into the watch editor, I find the ntServiceState attribute but can't figure out how to place each service against the service state.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

• 2.  Re: How to create a watch for NT Services?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 30, 2018 11:22 AM

Alban,

The ntServiceTable is indexed using the ntServiceIndex attribute. If you want to monitor the ntServiceState for a specific entry in the ntServiceTable, you will need to specify the specific index of the service in that table. This can be found by using MIB Tools to query the ntServiceName and noting the instance. For example, if instance of Active Directory Web Services is "159" then you would need to monitor "ntServiceState.159". However, there are a couple of caveats for this:

1. If you have multiple systems the instance for ntServiceState for the service may not be the same across all systems

2. If the service were to be restarted, the instance may change

If you have a sysedge agent installed, you could monitor the service

Could the "Active Directory and Exchange Server Manager" help?

Active Directory and Exchange Server Manager - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.3 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Joe

• 3.  Re: How to create a watch for NT Services?

Posted Oct 30, 2018 11:57 AM

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I see your point and you're correct, if a service is restarted the instance might change. For the most part when spectrum calls a get command, the results always come back in alphabetical order. So the chance for the instance index to remain the same is high but just not 100%. (this is all just my thought process)

All my AD servers due in fact have sysedge installed. Only one has the AD aim agent though. 

I will poke around the document you provided, would you happen to have any pointers?

• 4.  Re: How to create a watch for NT Services?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 12:04 PM

You don't need the AD AIM to monitor those services.  The base SystemEDGE agent will let you do that.  The AD AIM gives you more detail into AD and Exchange (replication, hub transport roles, etc.) but you should get pretty far with base service and event log monitoring.