DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Spectrum previously-saved good database not present

Posted Nov 09, 2017 10:56 AM

I have an issue creating a SSdbsave. Unfortunately, I don't have a previously saved database. What options do we have if we don't have a previously good database.

> ../SS-Tools/SSdbsave.exe -cm SpectrumBKP
    ERROR: This application has been started using a Spectrum database which was not gracefully closed. The application will now shut down to allow you to load and initialize a previously-saved good database.

SPC-DBS-20095: d:\app-spec\SS-Tools\SSdbsave.exe Error: Unable to open database.

• 2.  Re: Spectrum previously-saved good database not present

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2017 12:09 PM
    • One option is Initialize to Legacy Database and start over (rediscover the devices again, recreate watch, etc).

• Another option is if you have upgraded the CA Spectrum, you can try restoring from that saved file. But note that if the upgrade was done a long time ago, I will not get all models you currently have in the corrupted database.

Files Created During Installation - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Installation Database Savefiles

The installation automatically creates two savefiles in the <$SPECROOT>/SS directory. Each file contains a copy of the database modeling catalog that was installed. The first file is date-stamped, with the extension .after. A copy of the .after file is created and named legacy.SSdb (overwriting any previous legacy.SSdb file).

The legacy.SSdb file is used with the SSdbload utility to reinitialize the database with the most recently installed modeling catalog. Whereas, the .after files let you restore the catalog that is associated with any particular installation. A sequential counter following the date portion of the file name lets you distinguish between multiple .after files generated on the same day. For example, if three of these files were generated on May 4, 2006, they would be labeled as follows:

• db_20060504,1.after.SSdb
    • db_20060504,2.after.SSdb
    • db_20060504,3.after.SSdb

Thanks,

Silvio

• 3.  Re: Spectrum previously-saved good database not present

Posted Nov 12, 2017 04:47 PM

I've used the database savefile method on more than one occasion when I've had new landscapes where the auto save of the database has accidentally been omitted during setup.  It works well.  You will be rolled back to the last time you upgraded but in a lot of cases that's a LOT better than remodelling the whole thing.

Then once you've got that working for the love of The Flying Spaghetti Monster, enable auto-backup!  Then, script an off-site copy of that db save onto a different disk in case of HD or VDD corruption/loss!