CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

• 1.  Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 22, 2018 03:47 AM

Hi Team

we have around 400 Change Order Tickets in servicedesk 12.9 and recently we implemented servicedesk 17.1 fresh implementation with all configuration same like categories , groups etc.

In new sdm 17.1 , change order ticket , counter starts from 2000 onwards and in old sdm 12.9 change order tickets counter till 1800. 

So can we import CO to new sdm without having any issue?

• 2.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 10:39 AM

I think you will have issues. There are a lot of references will be lost and the data integrity can't retain. As most of the references use uuid/persid so ServerA CI in 12.9 that your change order refers to will not the the ServerA in your current 17.1 install. This is just one example and there will be a lot more. Currently I can't think of any out of box tool for you to combine the data from 12.9 and 17.1. 

• 3.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 10:42 AM

How do you plan to import those old COs? It is never recommended to load in data from a different version of the product piece-by-piece (through pdm_load, database insert statements, etc.) - different product versions have different database schema versions, and importing just the tickets does not necessarily import their corequisite data from your 12.9 system (contacts, attached events, etc.). Were these tickets not present on the server when it was upgraded from 12.9 to 17.1?

• 4.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 24, 2018 06:13 AM

Hi Sean

actually it was not upgraded. its a fresh installation with the same customization as done in 12.9.

• 5.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 22, 2018 01:27 PM

Hi Aamir,

It is not recommended to move data between different version of Service Desk.
    You can upgrade the Service Desk from 12.9 to 17.1 by swing box method.
    Then, the next questions for you:
    - How do you handle the rest of active tickets like still open incident and request? If these tickets can be closed, you can archive and purge the closed tickets.
    - How do you handle the open change orders but they are not these 400 Change Orders?  If you can close these non 400 target change orders, you can also archive and purge the closed change orders.
    After the above two cleaning the data, the upgraded Service Desk would have 400 change orders, all contacts, all problem category, all Request category, Configuration items, etc. It should not have any active Incidents or Requests. In the change orders table have 400 target change orders with corresponding workflow tasks.

The above two tasks (upgrade and clean unwanted data) are not a simple but it is the way to do that.

Regards,

Derek 

• 6.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 24, 2018 06:16 AM

Hi Derek

Actually it was already communicated with the customer that fresh installation will not have 12.9 data and they were agreed. But now after live sdm 17.1. Change ORder Team is asking for old tickets created in 12.9 and want those tickets in 17.1..... which is now a problem for us...THis is only for change order tickets which need to import in 17.1...

• 7.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 24, 2018 09:04 AM

As mentioned this is going to be a problem. If the old server still exists, have them continue working on the old system just to close off the existing records, with restricted access not to open any new tickets there. They can log the new CO's on the new system. You can't bake your cake and eat is as the saying goes...

Otherwise, use something like pdm_text_cmd to create new tickets on the new system in bulk. Obviously, they will have new CO numbers, but you can add an external reference kind of field and set the old ticket number so they can reconcile ;-)

===

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 8.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 25, 2018 07:54 AM

I think the best approach here would be to capture all the COs that need to be imported into a CSV file and then having a script run through and add them to the new environment via web service. The COs would take on new ids from this environment and lose their original date and activities, but this could at least get the data there.

La-Qa if this sounds like it could work I can help put together a powershell script that loops through records in a csv file to load the data. Let me know.

• 9.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 30, 2018 12:41 PM

HI Grant

Please let me know how to proceed on this.  what you need from me on this?

Many Thanks

• 10.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 30, 2018 12:45 PM

Hi La-Qa,

Have you fixed the data corruption caused by the load? Before moving forward with this you will probably want to make sure it's all cleaned up first.

Here's what i'll need to build the script

1. Do you have the rest api enabled?

2. Please provide a sample csv file containing the fields and data from one CO (doesn't have to be real data).

• 11.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Oct 31, 2018 02:34 AM

Hi Grant

i have restored my mdb with the original one(before alteration) but reconfigure sdm but still  i cant see CO list ..as posted in my another thread. imnot sure how to fix that as i already removed custom list.chg file from site but the issue still persist.

i will get back to you once this issue resolved

• 12.  Re: Import CO from 12.9 to 17.1 sdm

Posted Nov 01, 2018 09:50 PM

Hi,

1. Please let me know which attributes you’d like to include in the import. 

2. Format the data into a csv file with the headers he same as the attribute names and send me a sample. Include the headers and one row, not real data.

3. Do you have the rest api enabled?