Agile Requirements Designer

View Only
  • 1.  Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?

Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:18 PM

Hello,

Let's consider a flowchart. In the second or third node I set a Variable called SHIP_TYPE with the value ADDRESS (Variable defined in Tools/Properties).

Later in the flowchart, I have a decision node where the decision should be made based on the value of the SHIP_TYPE variable.

How would you recommend to implement this?

Thanks,

Olivier.

• 2.  Re: Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 12:40 PM

You can't, not like that anyway. 

The reason for this is you could never predict if an edge later on in the diagram is even possible, so you wouldn't be able to calculate coverage. 

Can you explain to me the goal of what you're doing, there are a lot of ways to skin the cat you're trying to skin!

• 3.  Re: Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?

Posted Apr 26, 2017 03:24 PM

Thanks Ben,

I understand. Let me try to better explain which requirement I had in mind:

Let's consider a B2C Web Site. A customer can select an item and set it in the basket. From the basket, the customer can (pre)select the shipping mode (Drone, UPS ...). Then the customer can continue to visit the web site and at the end finalizes the buying process. At the end of this process, the customer must confirm (or change) the shipping mode.

At the ARD level, between the basket and the rest of the flowchart until the shipping mode confirmation, there are lots of business rules / process & decision nodes.

How would you address this (getting at the end of the buying process what was selected for the shipping_mode in the basket)?

Thanks for your advice,

Olivier.

• 4.  Re: Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 04:50 PM

Got it, the easiest way would be to use an advanced constraint of the form:

If: precondition & (we reach the relevant decision)
    then: we make the relevant condition a particular way

Note, the second part of the if the condition is vital, because otherwise if the precondition happens we will be forced to reach the decision in all circumstances!

See the documentation here: Constraints - CA Agile Requirements Designer - 2.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Make sure you're using *advanced constraints*

• 5.  Re: Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?

Posted Apr 27, 2017 04:08 AM

Hi Ben,

Understood, thanks.

I take advantage: could you point me to use cases (docs or videos) around how and why using "Variables"?

Thanks,

Olivier.

• 6.  Re: Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?

Posted Apr 27, 2017 08:17 AM

• 7.  Re: Using same Variable at different levels in a flowchart?

Posted Apr 27, 2017 08:51 AM

Thanks for the pointers.

I guess I understood how to define Variables in ARD. My concern was more about use cases: in which business cases it may be relevant / useful to use Variables?

Thanks,

Olivier.