DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Best Practises for Upgrade Spectrum 10.1.1 to 10.2.1

Posted May 12, 2017 03:23 AM

Hello,

I'm planing an upgrade from Spectrum Version 10.1.1 to 10.2.1.

During the update our operators need an active spectrum environment. So I usually connected our operators to the backup server while updating the primary servers.

In the past I always had to mess around with the .hostrc and even use IP Tables to prevent communication between the primary and backup servers. Otherwise interesting phenomena would happen.

I read the Best Practice Part of the 10.2.1 documentation. There it states, that I should start the Archive Manager of the primary server to get the Events from the backup servers. Which means, that there is a communication betwenn different version spectrum servers.

So the question arises: What happens, if a Spectrum 10.1.1 backup server encounters a 10.2.1 primary server? And what happens if a 10.1.1 OneClick Server encounters a 10.2.1 primary server. Or the other way around: what happens, if a 10.2.1 OneClick Server finds a 10.1.1 Spectrum Server?

Does the communication work, as if they are the same version? Will my operators be able to work, when connected to a 10.1.1 OneClick Server while i start the 10.2.1 production environment without preventing communication between the different version servers?

Regards,

Jana.

• 2.  Re: Best Practises for Upgrade Spectrum 10.1.1 to 10.2.1
    Best Answer

Posted May 12, 2017 08:11 AM

Hi Jana,

Generally they will not be able to connect.

You should make sure all servers are on the same version.

So in this case I would upgrade in this order:

1.       Primary SS

2.       OneClick

3.       Backup SS

While the Primary is down the backup will provide management.

So the only downtime is when OneClick is being updated.

This can also be avoided if you have multiple OC servers.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Thanks,

Matt

• 3.  Re: Best Practises for Upgrade Spectrum 10.1.1 to 10.2.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2017 09:08 AM
      |   view attached

Just to elaborate a little on this…

The SpectroSERVERs and Archive Manager functions will still talk to each other.  So even when your MLS is on 10.2.1 it will still communicate with the other SpectroSERVERs.

The issue generally comes in with OneClick and whether it can “see” the SpectroSERVERs or not.  There was a change in the 10.2 code so that if you do try to connect a 10.1.x OC to an SS that is on 10.2.x you will get a message that the user has no roles and vice versa (if you try to connect a 10.2.1 OC to a 10.1 or prior SS).

The best way to avoid the downtime and avoid the user roles issue, (as Matt noted) you can use 2 OC servers and upgrade one to 10.2.1 and leave the other at 10.1 until all SS have been upgraded and then lastly upgrade the 10.1 OC.

HTH

Jay

• 4.  Re: Best Practises for Upgrade Spectrum 10.1.1 to 10.2.1

Posted May 15, 2017 03:06 AM

Hello,

thanks for the info.

Regards,

Jana.