DX Application Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  Duplicate session

Posted Mar 02, 2016 07:02 AM

Hi All,

I am using CA APM 10.0 and facing the below warning in CEM, please assist me the steps to resolve this warning.

Regards,

Winkle Khurana

• 2.  Re: Duplicate session

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 07:11 AM

Hi,

A couple of things to think about:

Do you have more than one TIM seeing the same traffic, in which case the same session id could be seen by more than one TIM. In which case traffic should be filtered so that each TIM sees different traffic in Setup > Web Server Filters.

Are you monitoring applications that actually have unique session identifiers, sometimes something is selected as a session identifier that is not unique at all.

Is the application timeout configuration in Business Application matching the actual session timeout of the application, if not, the value in Business Application should (probably be) increased to match.

Thanks,

David

• 3.  Re: Duplicate session

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 08:48 AM

Hi Winkle:

David covered much of what I would. This is an information message so in theory it should be of concern. A good session identifier through the life of the transaction can eliminate this message as well as the unidentified user issue.

Your TIM and TIM Collector EM logs can give you more of a clue why this is happening

This is documented  in Top Errors - CA Application Performance Management - 10.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

Thanks

Hal German

• 4.  Re: Duplicate session

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2016 04:26 PM

+1 for David's & Hal's comments

Some added info from my experiences with customer cases on this error:

• Basically, the warning messages simply arise from the fact that the EM (TESS) tries to insert the session id data into table TS_US_SESSIONS_MAP but encounters a unique index violation because a row already exists for the session ID associated to that business application in that table (the unique index is comprised of the 3 columns ts_app_id, ts_session_id, ts_interim_sessi_key).

• There is no loss of CEM functionality which is why the message has a WARNING level rather than ERROR & the event is really to make sure you have covered off the checks advised by David. However even if the session timeout in CEM is aligned with what is set at the web server then as long as there is no duplicate traffic CEM cannot handle a situation where a web server is re-using session ids for different end-user ids

• 5.  Re: Duplicate session

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 03, 2016 12:21 AM

Been meaning to write a KB on this for while as I remember I could never find one in the past, so here it is

What do Warning messages "Duplicate session ids detected" mean in the CEM console and should I be concerned.