CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

EEM REST API

• 1.  EEM REST API

Posted Sep 14, 2020 07:26 AM
    Hi

Is there a REST API to interact with EEM?
    If so, where can I find documentation?

My goal is to be able to create users using REST requests.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: EEM REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2020 07:58 AM
    Edited by Brian Mathato Sep 14, 2020 07:58 AM
    Hi Andre,

Just for clarity...

Is your end-goal to create users in EEM directly using REST API?

------------------------------
    Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 3.  RE: EEM REST API

Posted Sep 14, 2020 08:03 AM
    Hi Brian

Yes, the end-goal is to expose an endpoint using Layer7 that serves as proxy to create users in EEM.

Thank you

• 4.  RE: EEM REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2020 01:00 PM
    Does the following documentation help

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-identity-and-access-management/ca-embedded-entitlements-manager/12-6/safex-command-line-reference.html

Paul Coccimiglio
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom Inc.

• 5.  RE: EEM REST API

Posted Sep 15, 2020 05:44 AM
    It seems to be useful. I need to install the EEM SDK but I can't find the download location.
    Can you please point me the url where I can download it?

Thank you

• 6.  RE: EEM REST API

Posted Sep 15, 2020 06:29 AM
    I am actually able to use safex and could successfully export the list of users for instance.

I am having troubles trying to add a new global user, following the example provided in this link:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-identity-and-access-management/ca-embedded-entitlements-manager/12-6/programming/example-safex-xml-scripts/global-user.html

I have been trying different possibilites but no success so far. Can you provide a working example?

Thanks

• 7.  RE: EEM REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 15, 2020 09:00 AM
    Edited by Brian Mathato Sep 15, 2020 09:04 AM
    I have previously been successful to add users to EEM using the safex command, however, it was over 2 years ago. Not sure if things are still the same now. 

Try the steps in the below KB articles, which seems to match what you are trying to do:

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=15188

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=49699

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=125336

TIP: For starters, always start with a very basic set of fields.

Otherwise, let us know what errors you are getting or what is not working properly?

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 8.  RE: EEM REST API

Posted Sep 16, 2020 07:28 AM
    Thank you Brian

The examples were useful and we are now able to create new users using safex via command line, from the server where EEM is installed.

We now need to create users in the same way, but from another server (server A). The EEM server and the server A are in the same private network.

Do you have any suggestion on how to achieve this goal? Is there some built-in web service on EEM, for instance?

Best regards

• 9.  RE: EEM REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2020 03:14 AM
    Hi Andre,

Are these users not in a LDAP store and how many are they? If they are in an LDAP directory of some sort, then all you need is just to point EEM to that LDAP store. This would save you all this human-intensive labour exercise of modifying files and running the safex command manually.

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 10.  RE: EEM REST API

Posted Sep 17, 2020 05:02 AM
    Hi Brian

The main goal is to give the ability to any person to create a user for himself in EEM, but this must pass from our API Gateway for security reasons.
    In other words, we need to expose an endpoint in our API Gateway, that receives a body with new user info such as name, age, username, password, and then creates this user in EEM, which is not in the same server of the API Gateway.

Thank you

• 11.  RE: EEM REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2020 05:37 AM
    Hi Andre,

Seems we need someone from EEM team to verify if EEM has any REST API capabilities or any avenues to can consider...

Have you logged an official Support case to get some assistance on this?

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 12.  RE: EEM REST API

Posted Sep 17, 2020 05:55 AM
    Hi

Yes, that kind of webservices would be the ideal solution. If there is no such thing within EEM, then we would need to implement something similar by ourselves.

I didn't log a support case, as this is not an error or failure case but I can try to do so.

Thank you

• 13.  RE: EEM REST API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2020 09:09 AM
    Andre,

There is not an API available for use with EEM. The way to create users is either manually within the EEM UI, or by using the safex commands, or to use an external LDAP server connected to EEM as your user store.

~Jennifer