Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Parent story won't move to Accepted column

• 1.  Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Posted Mar 25, 2020 09:42 PM
    Hi

We are having an issue on the Team Board where we've completed and accepted all the child stories and they have moved from the Completed column to the Accepted column. But the Parent story will not move to the Accepted column, we drag it across and it just reverts back to the Completed column.  If we remove all child stories it will move across, but that is really not a good option for us.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:15 PM
    I don't work with epic stories very much, so I'm not familiar with their specific behavior, however I can say that by default, the children usually determine the state of the parents.  So, with tasks, for example, when they are all complete, it will move the parent automatically.  Details around that behavior is here: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/agile-development-and-management/rally-platform-ca-agile-central/rally/getting-started-top/get-started-rally/customize-your-account/task-state-updates-parent-schedule-state.html

• 3.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:30 PM
    Hi, thanks for that and yes that is what I thought too. Have tried moving some child stories back to development, then back through to accepted (just in case), but didn't help. All children are in Accepted, just need their parent to follow 😏

• 4.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:50 PM
    Sorry, just read your recent post.  In my testing, the parent was quick to pick-up a state change.
    • Make sure there's no child in a different Rally project that's still not accepted.
    • Also try doing a shift+browser-refresh to see if the parent updates to Accepted.  
    • You might consider filtering our Parent stories on your board so it's not misleading.

• 5.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:57 PM
    Hi, thanks for that, we have attempted those steps.  And I tried it again this morning. It's not just one parent it's about three in one if our projects. I just can't see what they are doing differently to my other projects that work just fine.

• 6.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:40 PM
    Just to add on to what David said...  The Parent stories Schedule State is a reflection of the Schedule State of values of its children.  You can't manually set the parent's Schedule State.  it automatically gets set based on the values of its children.  So if one child is not Accepted, the parent will not show as Accepted.  Think of the parent story as just a container for the children.  There are a few fields like this when you have a parent story: Release, Iteration, Planned Estimate; all based on the value of its children.

What's the reason you want to show the parent as Accepted , when the child stories are not all Accepted ?

• 7.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:43 PM
    Hi, that's my problem, all the child stories are accepted but the parent just doesn't move, so tried to move it manually.

• 8.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 01:50 PM
    I was able to reproduce what you are seeing.... by having a child story in a Rally project where I didn't have permissions.  I was not able to see all the stories, so to me, it looked like all the stories were accepted.  Could this fit you scenario?
    To check this, find a Rally admin to view the parent and look for the other children.  They will be able to see in all projects, see all the children.

• 9.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column

Posted Mar 26, 2020 02:03 PM
    Thanks for that, I've double checked as I'm an admin, but definitely all accepted.

• 10.  RE: Parent story won't move to Accepted column
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 02:53 PM
    In that case, to get this resolved I suggest you open a Support case.