DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Processes probe combining like processes utilization?

Posted Oct 23, 2018 04:17 PM
      |   view attached

Hi All,

We have a situation (attached)  where we have a bunch of processes with the same prefix which are spawned and we would like to know if it possible using the processes probe to combine all the like processes so we can get one memory utilization for the entire group as opposed to individually. We are having memory issues with a particular server and are trying to narrow down the cause of the out of control growth.

• 2.  Re: Processes probe combining like processes utilization?

Posted Oct 23, 2018 04:19 PM

If I  set binary path in the profile to OTLSV and push the  find button, the processes probe finds all the processes with the same prefix of OTLSV shown above.  Will this now combine all the memory utilizations of all the processes under the one profile and report it as a total in USM?  I am hesitant to deploy this configuration out of potential performance impact to the system.

• 3.  Re: Processes probe combining like processes utilization?

Posted Oct 25, 2018 05:29 PM

As far as I know the probe collects everything on a per process bases and can't combine data.

• 4.  Re: Processes probe combining like processes utilization?

Posted Oct 26, 2018 10:14 AM

You can try it and see how it goes. It won't impact the system if you have your polling set to 60s. Its very quick to grab all the metric QoS data it needs.  Just activate it for a few minutes and collect a few polling samples. Make sure your QoS sampling is set to 1 so you grab metrics on each 60s poll. 

In your example above I think it will combine all the QoS memory from each process that matches and graph it under that Profile's dataset. If you have Track PID turned on then it will break apart each matching process and create individual QoS targets for each process it matches against. 

• 5.  Re: Processes probe combining like processes utilization?

Posted Oct 29, 2018 11:19 AM

Its does work, to give an accumulated total.