Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Jan 12, 2022 02:35 PM
    Hello!  I was given some HTML for a Bulk User Permissions app a few years ago that we use often with our larger trains and for overall maintenance.  We noticed today that it will allow a Project Admin to change another user on a team they are Admin for to also be a Project Admin.  When looking at the team itself, a ProjectAdmin does not have those same rights, it's only through this Bulk App that a Project Admin can promote (or demote) another user to or from admin.

Does anyone know why there is this discrepancy?

• 2.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2022 08:55 AM
    Hi Sheila,

I can't say for sure but suspect the app was originally written for a specific customer who requested that capability.

• 3.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Jan 13, 2022 11:03 AM
    This is interesting.  If Rally does not allow admins to assign other admins out of the box (which they do not), A custom app should not allow for this either, correct?

------------------------------
    Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 4.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Jan 13, 2022 02:32 PM
    Yes, that is what I was wondering, why would the app override permissions?  Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 13, 2022 11:16 PM
    Hi @Sheila Olds , @Neil Goodwin ,

We met internally about this today. This app is a community app and as such isn't supported. However, more to the point:  While we were able to see that the app shows a Project Admin that they can promote users to also be project admins, it doesn't actually work. When we tried submitting this bulk request we received errors and we couldn't actually promote any user.  Can you please let us know if that is also your experience, or are you actually able to promote users to project admins (while logged in and using the app as a project admin)?

As far as the inconsistency:
    Rally's admin model isn't allowing project admins to promote users to be admins too. Such promotions should go through Workspace Admins or Sub-Admins. As you point out Rally's own UI won't present this ability to a project admin in the first place when editing users. So, what we believe is going on here is that this app is simply showing on screen this option without taking into account it shouldn't be allowed, then (as said) it throws an error and won't work. It would've been better if this app didn't present this promotion option in the first place.

In any event, if your behavior is as ours, then the inconsistency isn't with the actual promotion ability but only with this app making it seems it's available while it's not. In this case - there wouldn't be much to do since the app isn't supported and the actual promotion is protected.

If you are actually able to use this app (as a project admin) and actually promote users then I would advise you open a support case. That support case should focus on why you actually can promote users in the first place, not why the app is suggesting that you can.  

I hope this helps. Please let us know.

Thanks,
    Sagi

​​

• 6.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Jan 14, 2022 03:34 PM
    Hi Sagi,

This is how I would expect it to work.  I didn't test it previously, but just did and as a Project Admin (not workspace or subscription admin), I was able to make another user an admin of the project. I did it twice to make sure, as it is Friday :)
    STR:
    Set up bulk user app
    Mark a user an admin & save

Side note...
    If Rally plans on fixing this, please discuss with Product Mgmt first as it could conflict with one of my enhancement requests.  This could be a by-product of either the Admin revamp work and/or my enhancement request.  I have an escalated request into Product Management to allow for all users to be able to view Project Admins of all projects.  We created a custom app that we thought allowed all users to view project admins and team-members of any project.  What we found is only project admins can view who the project admins are of a team.  If you use our custom app as a project admin you can see the project admins of project A.  If you are only an editor or viewer of Project A though and use the app, you can only see the team-members of the team and the project admin section is blank.  The reason for this request is so all Rally users know who the project admins are so they can contact them for permissions to their project and not always have to go to the helpdesk, as our helpdesk is overwhelmed with "Can I get editor access to Project A please".  We cannot ask them to reach out to the Project Admins of Project A as Rally has no way for them to know who they are.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you cannot reproduce this and we can meet up.

Neil Goodwin
    Clarity & Rally Product Owner
    Sabre

• 7.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Jan 19, 2022 06:20 PM

Hi all,

We use the bulk admin app and don't have a problem with it.  It does not allow project admins to actually update other project admins. 

What I would like to comment on is the other request to allow all users to VIEW project admins so they can request access without having to go to a workspace or sub admin to figure out who the project admins are so they can go ask that person to grant them permissions.  Is that possible?  Is it being considered?  It is a huge time suck just trying to let people know who the admin is so they can request access to a project space.

Thank you

Amy Meyers

American Express made the following annotations

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you."

American Express a ajouté le commentaire suivant

Ce courrier et toute pièce jointe qu'il contient sont réservés au seul destinataire indiqué et peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, toute divulgation, duplication, utilisation ou distribution du courrier ou de toute pièce jointe est interdite. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en aviser par courrier et détruire immédiatement le courrier et les pièces jointes. Merci.

• 8.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2022 02:12 AM
    Hi Amy and Neil:

Amy,
    I don't the status of that enhancement request to make it available for all users to know their project admins. I do know this request has been made, but unaware of its status. Are you planning to join the Office Hours tomorrow?   If so, best if you ask Product Management directly in that forum.  If not, I can follow up with them on your behalf, but I would think it will work better if you contact them directly for an update on this.

Neil:
    Thanks for your reply and apologies it took me a while to respond. I'm surprised you say you are able to grant the Project Admin permission to users while you are logged on as a Project Admin yourself. We have tried it a few times, it didn't work. It seems like Amy also suggests it's not working for her and my understanding of Rally's model is that this shouldn't work (regardless of that this app makes it appears as though it should).  Are you certain that you logged on as a user who is is a project admin and is only a project admin (meaning that this user isn't also a workspace admin)?   If so, what happens when you login as the user you promoted, can they themselves then repeat the process and promote someone else?
    If you'd like perhaps you can share this tomorrow in Office Hours. I believe you attended last time. If you're planning to attend tomorrow then if you'd like then we can discuss it there, perhaps you can demonstrate this scenario.   Either way, my point is to be really certain this is your experience. If so, probably best to address this via a support case to get a final answer on why it happens, how its allowed etc..

Thanks,
    Sagi

• 9.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Feb 03, 2022 04:17 PM
    Hi!  I wanted to follow up on this one again.  Similar to what Neil noted, we were able to use the App as a Project Admin and it did allow us to change other users to be Project Admins. It looks like the app does override the permissions.

• 10.  RE: Bulk User Permissions App

Posted Jan 19, 2022 06:20 PM
    hi