Release Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Show and update status message

Posted May 29, 2018 11:57 AM

Good morning

I have a deployment plan that uses command line actions with sqlplus to install db packages according to an input file. When there are only a few files it takes a very short time to install, a few seconds at most, but when we have bulk installs, about 100 or more it starts to take while longer.

Is there an action or component to show something like a status message saying "installing 1/100" or "installing <package name>" and to keep updating it? I was thinking about showing a popup every N number of files, but that would force a pause in the process, and that's not the idea.

• 2.  Re: Show and update status message
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2018 12:14 PM

Hello Susam Herrera,

It looks like you are trying to do a bulk update/install and when the number of install packages is more it takes more time.

In my personal view I am not big fan of this design because there is no way to determine a slice when the bulk install failed in between at some point time without debugging the logs or at DB end. I like design of composition where the one big install with 100 packages I want to do I will do it 1 at a time in same interval step. As this design give more control and logically is going to take same or better a less time(troubleshooting easier).

In relation to your question, as there is no action I will try to execute run command line action in a loop to n times (number of packages) and will install packages one by one if permissible as in this way the index counter of loop can be used as progress status.

Also in case of failure if any I know exactly at what index it fail and I am very sure that after this point nothing ran and before this point everything is successful so, with correction for the cause of failure I just need to run the installation of package from failure point till end.

I hope above will be of help.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 3.  Re: Show and update status message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 04, 2018 10:08 PM

Hi Susam,

Did Saurabh's reply answer your question?

RA doesn't have the feature you wanted, I also think. We need to use loop instead of bulk to know progress although there maybe some overheads.

Regards

Yas

• 4.  Re: Show and update status message

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 01:54 AM

Hi Susam,

I marked Saurabh's answer because we have not received your feedback so far.

If you need additional help, please open new thread.

Thanks

Yas