Automic Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Best practise

• 1.  Best practise

Posted May 21, 2020 03:44 AM
    Hello,

Is there an Automic document containing the best practises ?
    I mean 
    How to deploy code between environment ?
    Naming conventions ?
    Folder structure ? How to group objects in a folder ...
    The not to do ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 21, 2020 03:10 PM
    Very good questions.  But the answers will be unsavory to you;
    No
    No
    No
    No

Every shop has to devise their own best practices.

Each one of your questions are lengthy conversations.

------------------------------
    Pete

• 3.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 22, 2020 09:03 AM
    I agree with Pete that each shop creates their own. I will say it is best to get standards for those items in place early- especially the naming convention.

We built a powershell script to do some base validations on objects before it will migrate them to production, having a gatekeeper to be sure your standards are maintained is important.

• 4.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 21, 2020 03:13 PM
    I searched the online help for "best practices" and found this one.  There may be others(?)

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/ALL/components/DOCU/12.3/Automic%20Automation%20Guides/help.htm#AWA/Objects/BestPractices/BP_ConsistentNamingConventionsObjects.htm?Highlight=best%20practices

Pete

• 5.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 22, 2020 04:42 AM
    Hi

for some of your requests do exist (old) Whitepapers, I found one regarding Object names, there should be some others (Transporting, Oracle, ...)

https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=1435&MID=789378&CommunityKey=2e1b01c9-f310-4635-829f-aead2f6587c4&tab=digestviewer

cheers, Wolfgang

PS: unfortunately there is no seperate section for Whitepapers etc, seems to complicated for Broadcom :-)

Support Info:
    if you are using one of the latest version of UC4 / AWA / One Automation please get in contact with Support to open a ticket.
    Otherwise update/upgrade your system and check if the problem still exists.

• 6.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 26, 2020 07:14 AM
    aaahh...I know who created that document ... funny to find it here ... I even found the original Adobe Indesign file

;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Automic AE Consultant and Trainer since 2000
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 26, 2020 07:18 AM
    The best things happen when the original authors​ re-discover their documents on the community.

I remember the day when a certain ex-employee sent me one of the documents he authored, and I was finally able to make sense of what Automic support was trying to get at, based on a stripped-down, now non-sensical variant of that person's original document :)

• 8.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 25, 2020 02:51 AM
    Dear Benny,

regarding deploying code etc. look into building action packs to structure your objects and code with (at least some) programming standards. The packs come with some basic folder structure. Action packs are not very common used yet, because Automic is in the first instance an operating tool, programmed by operators rather than software programmers. Action packs were introduced a couple years ago (please correct me, community, I'm not so long in this business yet), but most environments are much longer around and each shop has developed their own solutions. It would be too much effort to change that and, if their solution works well, there would be not much improvement.

If you have the chance, get some advice from an experienced consultant.

Regards, Nicole

• 9.  RE: Best practise
    Best Answer

Posted May 25, 2020 09:52 AM
    Hi Benny,
    I think that the problem with the naming convention is that there are too many flavours of architecture to have ONE naming convention.
    One customer has a client for every single application. Another one has a client for every environment. In this case the applications are subdirectories. One customer does not want to have common elements. Another one does. Another one relies heavily on reusing some sort framework with copies of identical objects.

This means that naming conventions and folder structures and what to place within differs much! And none of them must be wrong...

Also the question of the deployment between environments depends on the question how they are set up in general. Consider for example installations where one team does everything while on another you have an an admin team and many different deployment teams for applications. This plus the question wether you are in a regulated environment like in a bank deplyoment might be restricted and looks different compared to more "liberate" ones.

The only thing that is somehow obvious(?) is what @Nicole Boeger mentioned: You can bring a lot of structure in your projects with action packs. I worked a lot with them in a CDA (former ARA) project.So I can fully support that statement.

Regards
    Juergen

Juergen Lechner
    Senior Consultant
    setis GmbH
    Germany

• 10.  RE: Best practise

Posted May 31, 2020 06:06 AM
    Thanks to all of you guys.
    I will try to dig in the Action pack.

What I understand from you, 
    There is no real naming convention, so no bad or good naming conventions.Depends on each company.
    This topics should be decided at the beginning (good for me, I'm at, it is my first project and I have to move on Production in one month)

Thanks