Expand all | Collapse all

Java UI features that are missing from AWI v12.0

Anon Anon10-17-2016 06:31 AM

Michael Lowry10-20-2016 09:38 AM

Michael Lowry04-25-2018 11:41 AM

Roney.Uba04-27-2017 09:05 AM

• 1.  Java UI features that are missing from AWI v12.0

Posted 10-06-2016 10:56 AM

Note: An updated version of this list is here: Java UI features that are missing from AWI v12.2 

List of issues / missing features

The following table lists features present in the Java User Interface that are missing from the Automic Web Interface. Details, a reference number, and the current status of each item are included where applicable. The list also includes issues mentioned in the thread “AWI Updates”.

DescriptionIdentifierStatus
    1.Context-sensitive help with the F1 key or equivalent
    (Also broken in the v12 Java User Interface)
    PMPER-1729Improved in v12.1
    2.Contextual menu when right-clicking on an object namePMPER-1729Unknown
    3.Keyboard shortcuts for commonly used commandsPMPER-1729Unknown
    4.Not possible to edit the Service Manager details of AE processesPRB00125081Coming in v12.1
    5.Verify connection to service manager is misleadingly namedPRB00125076Unknown
    6.Drag-and-drop for moving/linking/restoring objects, and adding tasksUnknownUnknown
    7.No way to reset the lock on an object that another user has open for editingNANot a problem
    8.Details entry missing from contextual menu in task executions listUnknownUnknown
    9.Move object allows lowercase letters, but does not change them to uppercaseUnknownUnknown
    10.Licenses viewUnknownComing in v12.1
    11.Send-to (other client) functionUnknownComing in v12.1
    12.Open Generated Job functionUnknownComing in v12.1
    13.Export/Import of STORE objects (objects are empty & content is lost)UnknownUnknown
    14.Export dialog box remains open after exportingUnknownUnknown
    15.Copy and paste of task pre- and post-conditionsUnknownUnknown
    16.Function to modify input parameters of tasks in Waiting for user input stateUnknownAdded in v12
    17.AWI displays the title of objects larger than the object name, if they have a title. There should be a setting to change this default behavior.UnknownFixed in v12.0.1
    18.Read the period settings of a statistic record of CPERIODsUnknownUnknown
    19.Child statistic records of !EVNT statistic recordsUnknownUnknown
    20.Display Activity for an object via contextual menuUnknownUnknown
    21.Object search based on type, agent, archive keys, script content, etc.UnknownComing in v12.1
    22.Duplicate tofunction in Process Assembly perspectivePRB00133144Unknown

Original post

We are just getting started with v12, and have begun to work with the Automic Web Interface in earnest. In the course of setting it up and beginning to work with it, I have noticed some gaps in the feature set, compared to the the capabilities of the old Java User Interface.

I just opened a new enhancement request on ideas.automic.com to ask that some handy features of the Java UI be brought to the new Web UI.

The Java User Interface has several features that are currently missing from the Web User Interface. They may have seemed like unnecessary features when the AWI was developed, but they are actually the niceties that have traditionally made UC4 an easy product to learn and an enjoyable product to use. These features should be added to the AWI.

1. Context-sensitive help with the F1 key or equivalent.
    2. Contextual menu when right-clicking on an object name, anywhere the object name appears. E.g., right click on the name of a LOGIN object when editing a job, and you will see the same contextual menu that you would see if you right-clicked on that LOGIN object in the Explorer view. This is particularly useful when editing objects that are dependent on other objects.
    3. Keyboard shortcuts for commonly used commands, such as saving, executing, displaying a report, activating the search field, etc.

The Java UI has been deprecated in v12, and will probably disappear completely in a future release. This means that the AWI will soon be the only graphical user interface for working with the Automation Engine. If you miss these features and want to see them come back in the AWI, feel free to let the Automic Product Management team know. The enhancement request ID is PMPER-1729.

• 2.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-06-2016 11:23 AM
    Drag-and-drop from explorer windows to workflows/schedules is another feature I miss, but I must admit that this one seems unlikely to be added, given the fact that the AWI is designed around the paradigm of displaying only one object at a time.

Update 2016.10.07: It is possible to edit workflows and other objects in a new window; so perhaps this would not be so difficult to add after all.

• 3.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-06-2016 12:00 PM
    There does not appear to be a way in AWI to reset the lock on an object that a user has open for editing. I just ran into this because I quit the browser before closing a workflow, and when I started the browser up again and tried to edit the workflow, the lock from the previous session was apparently still in effect because it opened in read-only mode.

• 4.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-06-2016 12:01 PM
    I found no way to edit object-level authorizations in the AWI.
    Object authorizations can be edited in the AWI. Edit the object and go to General → Object Authorizations.

• 5.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-06-2016 12:28 PM
    Oh wow, I did not expect this one: drag-and-drop to move objects does not work in AWI.

• 6.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-07-2016 01:24 AM
    restoring an object via drag'n'drop does not work; from the context menu you can only restore the object which will move it to the <no.folder>

• 7.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-07-2016 01:27 AM

Hi Michael,

>Context-sensitive help with the F1 key or equivalent.

Is the online help in AWI working on your side? Selecting "open help" loads the pagehttps://docs.automic.com/documentationbut does not point to AWI related functionallity.

• 8.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-07-2016 03:16 AM
    Peter Grundler said:

Hi Michael,

>Context-sensitive help with the F1 key or equivalent.

Is the online help in AWI working on your side? Selecting "open help" loads the pagehttps://docs.automic.com/documentationbut does not point to AWI related functionallity.

The Open Help function in the system menu in the upper right corner of the window works fine. It does not, however, open the help page relevant to the currently displayed screen. F1 help in the Java UI does this, and it’s a huge time saver.

• 9.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-11-2016 03:44 AM
    A small but annoying thing is the missing "Details" Entry in the Context Menu in Job Executions window.

There is a Details Button on the upper right, but its not comfortable (and for myself not understandble) why this is an extra button and not placed within context menu.

77oaku1w4nat.jpghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/sx/77oaku1w4nat.jpg" width="1363">

• 10.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-14-2016 09:47 AM
    I just discovered a couple of problems related to the Service Manager functions of the AE Management screen of the Administration perspective:
    • There is no way in the AWI to edit the Service Manager details of AE processes.
    • The function 'Verify connection to Service Manager' does not work at all. In fact, this function deletes any Service Manager details that have already been defined on the selected AE process.
    Both of these problem also affect v11.2.2. I reported this as INC00124638.

• 11.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-17-2016 03:52 AM
    MOVE object (especially Folder picker) function not fully implemented.

Moving an object to another location is quite a hard job...
    • Drag/Drop is not supported - as Michael Lowry already stated
    • you have to write the path manually
    • there is no "Folder Picker" - see below
    • lowercase is possible but the path is not accepted in lower case ?!?!????
    izvu04exy2gg.jpg

The basic function "Folder Picker" is available - see JSCH object

5lek2sj2xivv.jpg  deolsvetcm2c.jpg

• 12.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-17-2016 06:09 AM
    Wolfgang Brueckler wrote:
    Moving an object to another location is quite a hard job...
    • Drag/Drop is not supported - as Michael Lowry already stated
    • you have to write the path manually
    • there is no "Folder Picker"

There is a sort of folder picker, but it is different from the one used when adding tasks to schedules or workflows. Each folder in the target patch has a little menu that can be used to select another sibling folder (another folder in the same parent folder).

zq7qkopg53iz.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/mf/zq7qkopg53iz.png" width="578">

• 13.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-17-2016 06:31 AM
    AAAhhhhhhh - many thanks Michael_Lowry

• 14.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-17-2016 09:25 AM
    * Minor and does not affect functionality - but good to have when troubleshooting license

System Overview  > Licenses in 11 and older does not exist in Administration page of v12.
    Licenses in the older version gives you a list of licenses you have, how many you have, how many have been used, expiration date, etc.

• 15.  Java UI features that are missing from the Automic Web Interface

Posted 10-20-2016 09:22 AM
    Michael Lowry wrote:
    The function 'Verify connection to Service Manager' does not work at all. In fact, this function deletes any Service Manager details that have already been defined on the selected AE process.
    I received an explanation for this behavior from Automic Support: The AWI function Verify connection to Service Manager is exactly the same thing as Refresh Service Manager Scan command in the System Overview (Java UI).

The service manager record was being deleted in my case because the value of SMGR_PORT_RANGE did not include the port number to which the service manager parent of this process was listening. The scan failed to find an active service manager, so it deleted the existing service manager record for the process; it did so even though the service manager details already stored for the process were correct. Apparently, this has been the way Refresh Service Manager Scan has worked since at least as far back as v10.

When I first saw the function Verify connection to Service Manager in the AWI, I assumed it was a new feature that contacted the service manager directly using the existing service manager details already defined on the process. That would be a useful feature, but it is not what this function does.

I find the term verify misleading in the name of the AWI function. Verify implies that information will be checked, but does not imply that changes (possibly destructive changes) will be made. I requested that the name of the function be renamed to something like Update Service Manager record. Just changing it back to the original wording would also be acceptable.