CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  2 simultaneous notification methods in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:07 AM

Hi all,

What is the best method to send simultaneous messages?

Currently OTB features are Email, PagerEmail, USDSMS and Notification.

We have a requirement to send both Email AND an SMS notification simultaneously.

So for example, on an initial activity, send an SMS and an email to the affected end user OR send an email to the user and an additional email to our email system to generate an SMS.

• 2.  Re: 2 simultaneous notification methods in CA ServiceDesk
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:46 AM

Hi James,

This post "Create a new notification method to SMS e EMAIL messages " should answer your query

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 3.  Re: 2 simultaneous notification methods in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Aug 18, 2016 04:47 AM

If you look at how the Email notification method is set up you'll see it's only calling the pdm_mail after setting the required environment variables. You could switch this to use a temp file instead of envvars but I'm not sure whether that would break the normal mail notifications. Additionally, the notification methods set on the contact makes this a bit tricky.

If you're up for a challenge you could try something like this: First, create your own notification method that launches a script of yours (batch file, perl, smoke signals, mind reading, choose your weapon) and set that as the notification method for users. Then, within your script, launch the SMS functionality the way you have it implemented (no idea how the USDSMS works, never seen it) and then launch the pdm_mail just like the original email method does. As far as I know the envvars set when the original notification method is fired will be carried to the subsequent calls you make. If not, you can re-set them and then fire the functionality you want.

Keep in mind that I didn't test this so this is just a concept idea which you'll need to try out to see if it works for you. And keep us updated, I'm interested to see if this will fly

• 4.  Re: 2 simultaneous notification methods in CA ServiceDesk

Posted Aug 22, 2016 04:00 PM

Hi jwood1 - Did any of the responses provided help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!