DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Posted Jul 25, 2017 03:20 AM

Hello,
    Do you know any way to start alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port it connected is down?

• 2.  Re: Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 04:15 AM

When all connected ports of down stream devices are not reachable but not the connected port of up stream device, Fault Isolation will set down alarm on the Fanout model. However, if it is only certain port of down stream devices that is down then Fault Isolation won't raise alarm on the Fanout model.

Please check the "Example: Modeling a Fanout" section in the following documentation.

Fault Isolation - CA Spectrum - 10.0 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I don't see there is an easy way to achieve your objective. If you can describe more the scenario why you need this requirements then we may be able to give suggestions.

• 3.  Re: Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Posted Jul 25, 2017 04:38 AM

Ok, I understand it. I have a switch in green, one port of it is down and the fanout connected to this port is in grey.

All right, but is it possible with this scenario the alarm shows in the port and in the fanout? Only with this environment, now If I have a lot of devices connected each other, only the first interface down is alarmed, the other one is suppressed status, and this is the behavior correct. I need only change with the fanout connected to a port, when the interface is going down the alarm shows in both elements (port + fanout).

• 4.  Re: Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Posted Jul 25, 2017 02:34 PM

The events and alarms associated with the fault isolation process should NOT be changed in any way. The underlying code relies on specific events with specific probable causes and specific conditions to exist in order to function properly. Changing these out of the box events and alarms can undesirable results.

Joe

• 5.  Re: Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 25, 2017 06:36 PM

Check this KD article about SharedMediaLink

How to model and mange remote sites in Spectrum 

• 6.  Re: Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Posted Jul 25, 2017 02:36 PM

One option is to use the SharedMediaLink model instead of the Fanout.

Joe

• 7.  Re: Alarm in the Fanout /Unplaced element when the port is down?

Posted Jul 26, 2017 05:53 AM

I just tried to connect a fanout, unplaced or SharedMediaLink model, to a down interface and the result is the same. The port red, and the objet in grey. I think the SarhedMediaLink model could be working but the conctact_status of the port is stablished because the switch is running. Really I think this behaviur is the correct, but someone is sure the fanout was alarmed in previous ocassions, and it is working wrong now.