Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2015 08:31 AM

Hi folks !

My question today is about cross-domain validation.

I implemented some proxies APIs and today I want to call them from my website via Ajax calls.

Nevertheless I am facing issue with cross-domain validation, my browser refusing to handle the response displaying this error message :

XMLHttpRequest cannot load https://api.rec-env.com/someProxyAPI. No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'http://www.website.com' is therefore not allowed access. The response had HTTP status code 500.

Could you give me the best practices to handle such cases ? From my point of view, I have to set the "Access-Control-Allow-Origin" response header to "*" (wildcard) value because these APIs will in the future be used by clients' browsers, servers, .. I do not want to have a huge list of domains/protocols authorized.

Secondly is it possible to systematically set a header value for request / response messages ? In this specific case if this solution is viable I want all my futures APIs responses include this header.

I look forward hearing from you

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway

Posted Sep 23, 2015 11:27 AM

Hi,

Letting any site access your endpoint (the wildcard) seems like it defeats the purpose of CORS? The server is supposed to send back a list of origins that it deems acceptable during the pre-flight phase of the negotiation.

I don’t think a wildcard would be accepted…unless allow-creds resp header is set to false, but then you could have an auth problem.

Thanks, Sam

Sam Ucich | Sr. Principal Consultant, CA API Management

603.548.3841 | samuel.ucich@ca.com

• 3.  Re: Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 24, 2015 11:27 AM

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your answer.

Allowing all origin domains is not an issue for me, I protect my APIs through several other steps.

About pre-flight phase : from my understanding of the solution I have to handle this exchange and make some processing when I detect an HTTP OPTIONS verb. Nevertheless it is a very common issue that your clients must face (consume APIs proxies using web client) ... Could you give me your best practices for handling this ? I can't believe this pre-flight case has to be implemented by service developers and not automatized by the Gateway.

• 4.  Re: Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway

Posted Sep 24, 2015 11:36 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Have a look at the attached policy…

Thanks, Sam

Attachment(s)

zip
    corsprotected.xml.zip   2 KB 1 version

• 5.  Re: Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 24, 2015 11:59 AM

Thank you for you kind support.

There is an encapsulated assertion in your policy : "Enforce CORS". Could you send it to me ?

So if I understood correctly this pre-flight phase logic has to be implemented by devs, and not included natively like other API Gateway did (Apigee Edge for example).

• 6.  Re: Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway

Posted Sep 24, 2015 12:18 PM

Hi,

Sure np…attached is the ecap.

I’m not well versed in Apigee Edge, so I don’t know the answer.

These artifacts are from a demo to show POC for using OAuth with a browser (or a JSOC – javascript oauth client), and since Ajax was employed it had to support Cors. See attached diagram…and note, this was only a POC and not a production solution, because the OAuth token is sent back to the browser as a clear text parameter…so not very secure.

Thanks, Sam

Attachment(s)

pdf
    jsoc_architecture2.pdf   141 KB 1 version

• 7.  Re: Handle Cross Domain issues in Gateway
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 25, 2015 03:52 AM

Dear Samuel,

Thank you for your quick reply and your attached files.

In conclusion CORS handling logic has to be implemented by services developers in CA API Gateway.

Have a very nice day