Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Oh boy ... 12.1.1 ZDU (moderately funny screenshot included)

Posted Jan 31, 2018 12:06 PM
    We just Zero-Downtime-Upgraded 12.0.1 to 12.1.1.

Is was ... interresting. And certainly not really Zero Downtime.

• many agents didn't reconnect until manually restarted (not sure if by design or not)
    • the wizard lost track of the steps and towards the end was all greyed out
    • in the German versions, apparently lots of translations are missing
    • the wizard keeps talking about "Release Automation" and ARA (in a pure AE) - well, even the screenshots in some Automic documentation have these screens
    • we were asked to end "Conversation Memory" and other "Memory Entries" - this is probably by design, but we have zilch of a clue how to "check them beforehand", as advised by the wizard. All you can do is pray and click "end them all".
    And my personal favorite, listing it here because people sware that this exact kind of thing used to work in 12.0.1:

yl8i7bf9uv5e.pnghttps://us.v-cdn.net/5019921/uploads/editor/j7/yl8i7bf9uv5e.png" width="1144">

Splendid. Happens when you try to deactivate a parent workflow.

I'm on AE 12.1.1 and Oracle 12c - what does this even mean now, that something is possible since 11.2, but not possible for us now.

What does it all mean ...?

*grumbles, wanders off into the distance*

• 2.  Oh boy ... 12.1.1 ZDU (moderately funny screenshot included)

Posted Jan 31, 2018 12:41 PM
    INC00219409 for the Oracle message. It also shows near identical in the Tomcat logs, as an Engine message with a U00000 number in front.

• 3.  Oh boy ... 12.1.1 ZDU (moderately funny screenshot included)

Posted Jan 31, 2018 12:50 PM
    my warmest condolences !

May I tell you from my last SP installation of 12.0.3 in my sandbox?

saved DB & AE directory
    did a shutdown
    performed load of initialdata
    meanwhile copied Utility & AE Folder
    performed cold start
    started everything again
    checked versions in UI (the JAVAred one)

that took about 1 coffee (= 5 Espressi)....

:-P

cheers, Wolfgang

• 4.  Oh boy ... 12.1.1 ZDU (moderately funny screenshot included)

Posted Jan 31, 2018 12:55 PM
    So I take it your point is: forget about ZDU, call out a downtime and be done with it, old school style? Yes, that was my preference, but our users are on Automic's marketing distribution lists. They expect the new-fangled stuff to happen.

that took about 1 coffee (= 5 Espressi)....

So which one? In terms of time, there is much overhead of 5 Espressi over 1 coffee, especially with a machine that has to heat up after each cup :)

• 5.  Oh boy ... 12.1.1 ZDU (moderately funny screenshot included)

Posted Jan 31, 2018 01:01 PM
    hmmm not necessarily - if you have plenty of time (PreProd, Test, Dev, ....) old school is your friend. for PROD and nervous users I would do ZDU as well ...necessarily....

Otherwise performing ZDU in PROD means that you have to perform it at least in TEST - so ......
    you see....

No capsules machine - real coffee made from real fair trade beans, roasted in vienna .....

cheers, Wolfgang

• 6.  Oh boy ... 12.1.1 ZDU (moderately funny screenshot included)

Posted Feb 09, 2018 07:06 AM
    The solution to the Oracle error message and deactivation problem has been found. Details can be found here.